Rudy's Item Mod

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Rudy, Mar 12, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

This mod started as a collection of custom items and item tweaks. It has expanded to include spells and spell fixes as well.

The current version here is ONLY compatible with version 8.1.0 of the Co8 release. It will probably work with 8.0.0, but no promises.

This is a revised version of my old Technicolor Dreamcloaks Mod. The starting feature of that mod, the multiple colors of magical cloaks, was incorporated into the official Co8 release, and so no longer needs a separate mod (Thanks, Gaear!)

Full Documentation (Live)

Note that I edit the documentation as I go. So, some of the changes on there are for the next version to be released.

To see what is included in the current download, see the static documentation:

Version 0.7

Selection of Highlights (does not include everything; see link for that):

Fixes/changes:
    *Wizards can no longer craft scrolls/wands without being able to actually CAST the corresponding spell.
    * Buggy Potions of protection from undead, outsiders, elementals and earth were fixed. Thanks to marc1967 for noticing this bug.
    * Fixed some protection from elements potions
    * Fixes several buggy/non-functional spells
    * Fixed "Potion of Hiding" and "Potion of Sneaking"
    * Fixed a few spells to be in line with PnP

Misc.
    Added Item Descriptions for many items
    Cleaned up crafting menu for potions

New Items
    * Potions of Protection from various elements, of Resist Elements
    * 22 other new potions based on existing spells
    * Boots of Striding and Springing in eleven visual varieties
    * Girdle of Outer Protection +2/+4/+6
    * Amulet of Inner Perfection +2/+4/+6
    * Elven Chain, Darkleaf Cloth Armor, Celestial Chain, Celestial Plate
    * Composite Longbows of higher strength rating
    * "Invisible" cloaks of resistance for style
    * Gloves of Masterful Thievery

New Spells
    * Scintillating Sphere
    * Snowball Swarm
    * Great Shout

INSTALLATION:

The zip includes all relevant files. Consult the document link above if you wish to pick and choose what to use. As standard, it's not a bad idea to backup the files that you are overwriting (though, admittedly, I never bother to myself).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I'm currently considering some other things to tweak if possible, including:

* Making a version of belt of giant strengths with lockpicks included
    * A heward's handy haversack, which would (if I can do it) reduce your weight carried by a significant amount. I'm fairly certain that actually giving more inventory space is beyond me.

I'm always open to suggestions, but be prepared for disappointment, as many potentially cool things are not possible.

3. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

So, added "Girdle of Outer Perfection +2/+4/+6" and "Amulet of Inner Perfection +2/+4/+6" which grant bonuses to all three physical stats, and all three mental stats respectively. Their gold piece values are 16,000/64,000/144,000 for +2/+4/+6 (with half of that being the crafting cost). So, very expensive. And hard to make, as they require all three spells (the wizard can do either, and the druid can do the physical one, and that's it), and I set the required caster level at 4/8/12 respectively.

The girdle slot was easy to decide on. I decided on the neck slot for the mental stats item because:

* It leaves the head slot for visual customization
    * Combining a wisdom boost with an amulet of natural armor, or amulet of mighty fists gives me monk-shaped nightmares of unbalance.

Ultimately, I don't think the mental one matters much; I doubt it will see much use, as few characters need to boost more than one mental stat.

Going to test that a bit more, and work on a few other things, before uploading the new version. If anyone feels strongly about having those items available in other slots as well, speak up; it would not be difficult to add alternatives, but I won't do so unless the desire for them is expressed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  4. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Okay, new version up. In addition to the items previously mentioned, I went ahead and added Masterwork Composite Longbows for strength ratings +5 through +8. They are only available for purchase at the Golden Bullseye.

Additionally, I nerfed the Tumble bonus on the Boots of Striding and Springing from +5 to +2. They were just too good as is, with no reason to use any other boots. Even now they are still probably the best choice for most characters, since there isn't much in the way of magical boot competition. I may add some alternate colors/graphics for them at some point.

5. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Version 0.4 available in first post. Lot of changes here, at least relative to the previous version.

* Changed around 100 caster level requirements in item_creation.mes to prevent wizards from being able to scribe scrolls/craft wands before they can cast the corresponding spell.

* Added "invisible" cloaks of resistance, which do not show up on the character model. [CREDIT FOR IDEA: marc1967]

* Added ten additional visual varieties of Boots of Striding and Springing. Functionally they are all the same, but fashion is important for the modern adventurer.

* Gloves of Masterful Thievery added; these are intended to function as a combination of gloves of dexterity and thieves' tools.

* Potions of protection from undead, outsiders, elementals and earth fixed [CREDIT FOR NOTICING BUG: marc1967]

* Long Descriptions added/added to for about a dozen potions/elixirs, as well as the Ring of Blinking. [Credit to marc1967, Gaear, Sitra Achara for helping figure out how the protection from X creature potions work]

* Removed buggy versions of Protection from Acid & Protection from Electricity from Alchemist shop inventory in Verbobonc (this is the only place they occur).

* Removed Wand of Dominate Monster (9th level spell) from crafting list

* Fixed non-functional "Potion of Hiding" and "Potion of Sneaking"

* Few minor tweaks

Full details are in the readme.

6. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Oh, two things.

One, based on advice from Gaear and marc1967, version 0.4 was redone from a fresh copy of the files using World Builder, instead of ProtoEd, which I have now discarded. So, there should be no concerns about wonkiness coming about due to ProtoEd weirdness.

Two, I hope it goes without saying, but if any Co8 people want to use any part of this thing for official fixes or changes, please be my guest; pick and choose as you like. I'd appreciate being let know in that case if possible, just so I can know what doesn't need to be updated in my mod the next time you release a patch/version.

7. Salk

Salk Established Member

Thank you for your precious work and contributions, Rudy!

Gaear has just posted instructions about how to apply to have their modifications be part of the next version of the Co8 mod.

I personally do not use the NC version but most do and your fixes are surely something that needs to make it there, not to mention the rest of your modification might fit well with the spirit of NC.

8. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Yeah, I'm waiting to change the title of my thread until I figure out exactly what I'm doing with the potions of Protection from Electricity/Acid/Fire. Got those three existing ones working correctly now; trying (with little luck so far) to add one for Cold.

Anyway, once I've got that figured out, I'll post v0.5, and probably ask for a thread title change then.

9. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Okay, version 0.5 available in first post. The major feature is that there are now potions of Resist Energy and Protection from Energy for each of the five elemental types.

15 Resist Energy potions: 5 elements at three different caster levels (3, 7, 11). All craftable with appropriate prerequisites. Those caster levels were chosen for Resist Energy, as those are the levels at which the protection improves (and thus are the logical choices for crafting).

10 Protection from Energy potions: 5 elements at two different caster levels (5, 9). Five is the minimum caster level; 9 was chosen somewhat arbitrarily. All craftable with appropriate prerequisites.

Note that the protection from acid, electricity, fire are fixed versions of what already existed. Cold and sonic are new, as are all of the Resist Energy potions. The alchemist in verbobonc was given back his Protection from Acid and Electricity, and additionally given one for Sonic and Cold; all his potions are the caster level 5 variety. I left off giving him Resist Energy potions, because I don't know if there is some inventory limit of his.

The potions use a set of five icons designed to reflect the different elements.

OTHER FIXES:

Particle effects for Protection from energy (electricity) were not functional in the base spell.

Resist energy had the wrong duration

Elixirs of Hiding, Sneaking, Vision had internal spell effects which never ended. See http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11498.

See the readme for full details.

See http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11489 for more discussion on this addition.

10. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Some images of the new stuff.

Attached Files:

11. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Version 0.6; a small but significant upgrade. New spells! :)

Great Shout - Wiz/Sorc 8, Evocation. Taken from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting to fill in some gaps in high level spells. Cone with radius 25+5/2 levels (quite big at high levels), deals 2d6 sonic and stuns for 2 rounds; fortitude save negates the damage and halves the stun duration. If that seems lame for a high level spell, note that that guarantees at least 1 round of stunning even if they make their save.

KNOWN ISSUE: If your party members are affected by this spell, the duration remaining will not always display correctly on their portraits. This is because the game stores duration display per spell, not per person affected, so if different characters have different durations, it will display only one of the durations for all those affected. Regardless, the actual stunning effect does work correctly for the correct amount of time. Besides, you shouldn't be using this on party members :)

NOTE: The PnP spell also deafens, but that condition does not seem to work properly in ToEE. Spell code is 801, scroll for the spell is item code 9701, and the scroll is craftable with the appropriate requirements.

Scintillating Sphere - Wiz/Sorc 3, Evocation. Essentially an electric fireball with a shorter range. I borrowed from Call Lightning and Magic Missile graphics (a better projectile graphic would be desirable if anyone has one in mind, but I couldn't find a better one). Spell code is 800, scroll for the spell is item code 9700, and the scroll is craftable with the appropriate requirements.

Snowball Swarm - Wiz/Sorc 2, Evocation. Summons a flurry of magic snowballs striking all creatures in a 10 foot radius. Cold damage is 2d6, plus 1d6 for every two caster levels above 3rd, to a maximum of 5d6. Reflex save for half. I borrowed from Ray of Frost graphics. Spell code is 799, scroll for the spell is item code 9699, and the scroll is craftable with the appropriate requirements.

NOTE: The original .py code for the previous two spells, Scintillating Sphere and Snowball Swarm, was by someone called "VP"; my contribution here was to fix the fact that it was at too late an index, to give it an appropriate entry in rules\spells\, to fix the fact that it was referring to gfx effects that did not exist (and thus to find viable replacement graphics), and to make it a craftable scroll.

Any feedback on the graphical effects is welcome; I'm going to try and find some not-evocation spells to create.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

VP = Vampiric Puppy. That explains the nonexistent particle effects - he was a graphics guy who had done some in depth research into particles (see the graphics subforum) and probably had some WIPs.

13. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Ah, I see; shame. I'll take a look at some point and see if he left anything useable around on the forums. Creating graphics wholesale is quite beyond me, I'm afraid.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

He did the graphics, I'll try to dig up the files. They were active in KotB for many years (if you threw a fireball you got a Scintillating Sphere graphic) but I think were removed before the major release.

EDIT: Well done getting them working btw, and on Great Shout :)

15. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Awesome! If you can find the files, I would be excited to test them out.

Our Host!