Paladin being fallen

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Anthropoid, Jan 7, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Established Member

Oh shit . . . just realized this thread is like 7 years old!

Whoops. Hope you guys aren't too hardcore on the 'anti-necro.' Me personally I never understood all that anti necro stuff but my apologies if it is regarded as such. Just found this doing a google advanced search and the thread was exactly in line with my own questions so it seemed like a great place to post.

I tend to agree. I'm playing the game naively (I knew AD&D 20 years ago very well, but do not know 3.0 or 3.5 details, nor do I know ToEE details) and just had this happen to me.

IF there are some cool 'side' quests that get opened up as a result of my Paladin being fallen (my NG Dwarven Fighter won the contest, didn't even really need the +CON spell) then I'm cool with them falling for an event like this.

If however, there is really no other way to raise up than to pay some cleric 8000 GP then I'm gonna console it at such time as I feel that she has atoned by the number of undead she has killed.

Are there any quests or anything else cool that gets opened up if your Paladin is fallen?

Are there any cool ways to get them back to good standing besides paying a cleric money?

No spoilers but do appreciate responses to those specific issues.

If answers are no, then I'll be consoling at some point ;)

In the meantime, can a Pal side side-class? (she is only Level 3 Paladin) What side-class would anyone suggest? Pretty much whole party is Neutral Good except her.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Re: Fallen paladin question

If a Pally changes class she cannot gain anymore classes in paladin, but she will retain whatever Paladin traits she gained in her time as a Paladin.

What version of the modpack are you playing? I thought the falling was made much more difficult in the later versions of the modpack.

And btw, I find it refreshing that someone actually uses the search feature. ;)

3. Anthropoid

I'm playing vanilla but with the ToEEFX running to make NPCs humble, increase PCs per party to 7 and max out all HP.

I just went ahead and paid the 3000. Between that and 3000 to recusistate my Paladin, Wizard and Ranger after that little tossle with the Hill Giant that is a lot of cash 'wasted.'

But then I guess having killed a Hill Giant and a few skeletons with a crew of about half Level 3 characters is pretty good.

4. sirchet

Right on!

It can be a tough fight if you didn't locate the scroll of charm animal. ;)

5. son_of_liberty

son_of_liberty Member

That charm animal scroll never works against that bear when I try it. It doesn't matter though. 2 entangle spells and a grease spell along with missile weapons does the job quite nicely. If the giant does manage to break free from the first entangle, give him a meat shield to deal with for a turn or two.

6. sirchet

Fascinating, I usually am able to tame the bear easily.

Funny how the dice roll, aye?

I agree that grease can be a great equalizer, even further along in the game..

Grease, a level 1 spell that never stops being useful. ;)

7. Anthropoid

It is a nice spell. but wish it would keep them immobilized for at least a whole round or even two. Seems like they generally go right back to full mobility by start of the next round.

Other spells that seem fairly useless:

1. Flare, at least 75% of the time this has no effect.
    2. Daze, same except worse as it seems to have a range requirement.
    3. Web, again like grease seems to be a speed bump instead of a horrific gooey mess that pins them up for a whole turn or so.

I remember web from the old games being a pretty bad ass spell. Seems kinda wimpy in this game, but maybe that is just a reflection on how the app calculates the power of the spell based on caster level, and the save against it is relative to the power of the spell caster?

Other questions:

4. Why no illusion school cantrips? (again keep in mind I'm playing vanilla with ToEEFX options cause I'm having installation issues)
    5. Casting identify costs the same as having a merchant do it?
    6. Is burning oil available to purchase anywhere? Or do trolls take damage from holy water? (don't think they did in old rules; only fire and acid).
    7. I'm running out of sling bullets! Any place that consistently sells them? The tanner has them sometimes (rarely) and I think I've bought some from the smith and/or the trader once, but only once.

8. sirchet

Identify costs 100 gold because whomever is casting it has to crush 100gp worth of pearls as part of the spell.

As for the bullets, in the modpack the time between shops resupplying has been shortened, I don't remember how long it takes in the vanilla version.

Myself, I usually just console my bullets in because even with the shops being altered it's still easy to run out.

9. Anthropoid

Ah thanks Sirchet.

Our Host!