Optimal Path Through Temple?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by hugin7, Oct 4, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. hugin7

hugin7 Member

I'm trying to figure out the best path through the temple while avoiding story spoilers as much as possible. As far as I can tell, there are multiple solutions and some are much better than others with respect to overall experience, loot, etc. Please review my understanding below and let me know if I'm off the mark.

1. Each elemental temple has a high priest capable of giving three quests. There are four temples.
    2. It is not possible to complete all 12 quests; they are in conflict with each other.
    3. Completing 3 quests for a temple allows the option to visit Hedrack and end the game by doing his quest.
    4. It should be possible to complete 3 quests for one temple and avoid visiting Hedrack when the final quest is turned in, so that non-conflicting quests from other temples could be completed.
    5. XP/loot is maximized by completing as many quests as possible and visiting Hedrack once it's done. Instead of doing Hedrack's quest, kill him.
    6. Once Hedrack is dead, go back to previous temple levels and wipe out all of the denizens, since all of their quests are done.
    7. Complete elemental nodes.
    8. Confront final boss.

Assuming the above is correct, is there a particular order for doing the quests that maximizes the number of non-conflicting quests available?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You should be able to complete at least 1 quest from each temple before finding any conflicts, see the quest descriptions linked below.

{43} {Romag has asked you to kill a giant snake}
    {44} {Romag has asked you to deliver a message to Rentsch.}
    {45} {Romag has asked you to kill Belsornig. }
    {46} {Belsornig has asked you to recruit the troll chief Oohlgrist to the Water Temple.}
    {47} {Belsornig has asked you to kill Alrrem and leave a specific poison at the scene.}
    {48} {Belsornig has asked you to kill the bugbears guarding the Greater Temple jail and leave incriminating evidence against Romag.}
    {49} {Kelno has asked you to recruit a bunch of nearby bugbears to the Air Temple.}
    {50} {Kelno has asked you to defile the Earth Temple altar with some specially prepared holy water.}
    {51} {Kelno has asked you to kill either Belsornig or Alrrem, your choice.}
    {52} {Alrrem has asked you to recruit the troll chief Oohlgrist to the Fire Temple by offering a ring of fire resistance.}
    {53} {Alrrem has asked you to recruit a tribe of ogres in an ogre cave northwest of Nulb to join the Fire Temple using diplomatic skills or non-lethal damage. Once convinced orsubdued, report back to Alrrem immediately.}
    {54} {Alrrem has asked you to steal the Orb of Golden Death from Falrinth.}

Obviously there are conflicts, you should be able to do 2 Earth quests, 1 Water quest, 2 Air quests, and the second Fire quest (if you recruit Oohlgrist for one faction before speaking to the other faction the quest botches for the second faction but does allow you to skip to quest 2 for the second faction.

At that point all options will piss off one faction or another, choose which one you want to join or just kill everyone and let their Gods sort them out.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  3. hugin7

hugin7 Member

Great feedback, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017
  4. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

If i'm playing either a LG or CE alignment this is the path I take :)

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Which priest do you guys enjoy killing the most?

I love it when the air priest does his whining line ....... like the little wimpy coward he is. :mad:

6. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

I like how offended the fire priest is when you attack:D

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If I'm feeling particularly evil, I like to keep Alrem alive until I've rescued his mad brother from the fire node, then dispatch him with a sardonic grin.

8. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

You can complete 11 of the 12 Temple quests if you do them in this order:

Romag 1: Exterminator
    Romag 2: A Note For Rentsch
    Alrrem 1: Oohlgrist For Fire
    Alrrem 2: Operation Ogre
    Alrrem 3: The Orb
    Belsornig 1: Oohlgrist For Water (the only botch)
    Belsornig 2: Blame Game (kill Alrrem)
    Belsornig 3: The Setup (kill the ogre and bugbear guards)
    Romag 3: Assassinate Belsornig (kill Belsornig)
    Kelno 1: Defection
    Kelno 2: Desecration
    Kelno 3: Assassination

9. Quandari

Quandari Member

Aha!!

Our Host!