One man party, five NPCs invited

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BrotherSmythe, Sep 2, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

I want to have one PC and five NPCs in my adventure party. Mostly Homlet residents invited: Elmo (of course ),Fruella, Furnok,Ronald, and Spugnoir. Possibly Meleny, Pishella,Wonnilon and Zaxis as substitutions. The problem is that I need a face man since npcs can't initiate dialog. So what class do i choose for my PC? He'll need diplomacy, intimidate,sense motive and maybe bluff. I'll need a cleric, wizard,rogue, 2 fighters and someone with survival skill. I'm thinking of a ranger, sorcerer, cleric, rogue or paladin. I'll make substitutions as necessary so as to avoid duplications. What are your thoughts?

2. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Rouge or bard for those skill points.

BrotherSmythe likes this.
  3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

A rogue with high intelligence will have enough skill points to be a good face man and still perform his duties as a .... locksmith, shall we say. ;)

4. BrotherSmythe

I'm leaning towards rogue and would then substitute Furnok for Meleny.

5. BrotherSmythe

I decided on having a rogue for my PC face man. Immediately hired Ronald and Spugnoir. Got Elmo when I had the money. Had to temporarily bring in an old pc cleric just to hire/marry Fruella. There must be a minimum charisma prerequisite to hire Fruella. To hire Meleny I will have to create a temporary pc with a charisma of 16 and diplomacy of 5?
    What happens if i have to ask Meleny to leave briefly so i can open an npc slot for one of the rescue missions. Is Meleny rehireable if i don't have her husband in the party?
    Also, Elmo will do impersonations of Fruella if you have both of them in your party. Very amusing! Just talk to him and it will be one of his dialog options.

6. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I'm not sure if an NPC can marry Melony, as she is an NPC herself but then again I rarely play with NPC's...

7. BrotherSmythe

I used a PC from the log book at the Welcome Wench. I created a cleric named Sam Pel for just this purpose. It seems to have worked. Meleny has joined my party. I dropped Sam and when I talk to Meleny with my one remaining PC she responds to me as if I were her surrogate husband. Same with Fruella I think.
    There was a time that I wouldn't use NPCs either but they can be fun and challenging.

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Had I got started with the Baldur's Gate 1/2 conversion, the temple.dll would have been edited to allow only 1 PC and many NPC's - as loss of the main character spells the end of the game. NPC's don't count towards the TPK (total party killed) condition.

9. BrotherSmythe

Had to start over on this project. Now I'm using the latest Co8 ver. and Temple+. I've chosen a bard as my lone PC and faceman. Skill points are stretched a little thin. All of the 'face' skills plus survival, lock pick and tumble. My NPCs are:Elmo,Fruella, Ronald, Spugnoir and Wonnilon.
    Wonnilon is fun. Took a while to get to him. If you find his backpack before you talk to him he will join your team immediately. His secret camp spot (ne corner level 1) is a safe (green tent area) resting place. After leveling him to another fighter level and giving him weapon specialization his performance notably improves.

10. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

One of the Clerics in the Church of St Cuthbert is supposed to be recruitable. Wonnilon is fun, remember on Level 3 in the room with the Hill Giant and Dire Wolf you can find his magic Repeating Crossbow.

11. BrotherSmythe

Yes,Ronald is one of those clerics and is one of my favorite NPCs.
    Wonnilon is using the repeating crossbow that I got from the tailor until I can reclaim his. Then I'll give the first one back to Spugnoir who can apparently use it without penalty?

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Spuggy is the man, and he knows where most locations are if you ask him. ;)

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

NPCs don't suffer the -4 penalty for using non-proficient weapons (a bug you can exploit, possibly fixed in Temple+).

I reckon go a Paladin for Diplomacy / Sense Motive as your class skills, he'll probably have a good Charisma if you wanna throw in an extra cross-class face skill, and take Meleny along for the sword. Paladin + Holy Sword ftw!

14. BrotherSmythe

I have temple+. Ill double check to see if that bug has been fixed.
    Paladins don't have a lot of skill points. If I used one I would probably multiclass. With what other class I don't know. And you would have to do that other class first.
    Actually I would multi him with a Ranger. Good skill points and class skills,favored enemy etc.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  15. BrotherSmythe

True. I had forgotten about that. 'Oh no! My scrolls! '

Our Host!