[Obsolete] Co8 Portrait & Voice Packs

Discussion in 'Negative Energy Plane' started by Cerulean the Blue, Jan 3, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Well, at long last, here they are. Late as usual, but what the heck. It's here.

It's a big file. 60.3 MB, so be warned, if you are using dial-up it will take a long time. Might take a while for you broadband users as well.

Two know bugs so far. Two of the original half-orc portraits do not show up in character creation, but they are the two really stupid looking ones, and I didn't feel like adding another control file just for two portraits. All the other original portraits are still available for character creation. The second bug is that some of the voice files are corrupt, but it appears that they always were (ever since ShiningTed posted his Custom Voices), and since there has been no mention of this so far, I don't think they actually play in the game. And of course Undomiel is still the same. Allyx worked hard on it, so don't complain.

READ THE README FILE!!! You have been warned.

I'm including it in this post for your convenience. Any questions posted that are answered by the ReadMe will get short but brutal replies. I don't write these things for fun. Read them. Questions about what's in the ReadMe are a different story, providing you actually appear to have read it first.

Co8 Portrait & Voice Pack ReadMe

Okay, so you read all that, right? Good. Now get to downloading.

[EDIT] Now completely compatible with Co8 5.0.0.

Co8 Portrait and Voice Pack v1.zip

AND READ THE README FILE!!!!

A final not to all modders - If you are adding new portraits with your mod, and you want it to be compatible with this one, please include updated Play Files (both .mes and .ppf) with the mod but not included in it, so that they may be installed after this mod is installed.

[EDIT] Here are some jpegs made by aureushbg that show you what portraits are in each pack.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
  2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Re: Co8 Portrait & Voice Packs

Very cool. :clap: Just DLed and it will give it a try once it finished extracting.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There are 10 corrupt files (out of over 500). None fire in normal circumstances, which is why they have never been reported and weren't picked up in bugtesting.

Specifically, we have:

Two that are meant to fire when a critical hit is made (these do not work in the game, and by the looks of things never will).

Three that are meant to sound when PCs are standing around bored (again, never happens and never will).

Three that fire on a map change (all obscure maps like the Ogre Cave, and those who play PC-only with my voices know the PC map-change lines are broken and don't fire at the right moment anyway. Besides, they only go off once).

One attached to some flagged scenery (Zuggy's hideout no less: rarely fires, and not in the right place anyway).

One from encountering a Boss-monster. This is interesting, because these lines never work but the mechanism for them actually is in temple.dll (unlike the other combat ones that were never programmed). I might fix it some day.

Anyways, chances are less than 1 in 100 u will ever hear one of these. I will fix them (read - DELETE the controls) and possibly prune this pack of non-working stuff at some future date (the non-working stuff was added in the hope we could get it working, and because I like to b thorough. Many fruitless weeks of .dll hacking and a confirmatory email from Steve Moret to Agetian confirmed these voices will NEVER work because they are not broken, they were never programmed in the first place).

Certainly, none of this should prevent u downloading this pack now and enjoying it. Well done Blue and Gaear!

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@ cerulean the blue - 5 minutes to download on my broadband connection ;)
    Oh, and good work dude.

@ ted (or blue-whoever reads this first I guess) are the new drow portraits in this too?

5. Cerulean the Blue

Yes, the new drow stuff Ted sent me is in there. Ted thought you might like it, and so did I.

6. slategrey252

slategrey252 Member

Nice. Very, Very, Nice.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

A thought, for version 2.0, should it ever come to exist, would be to organize the portrait packs up by race in addition to sex. Say 1 pack for male humans, elves and half-elves, 1 pack for male dwarves, gnomes, halflings and half-orcs and do the same thing with the female ones. You still have the same number of packs, but people can easily go "I'm making a male dwarf" and choose the appropriate pack, rather than trying to remember which pack had that cool dwarf picture they really liked. (Point of fact, a character I created recently has a picture I'm not completely happy with, but I didn't want to exit the game and re-start the creation process again so I just took what was there.)

This isn't a complaint about the new pack mind you, I think it's wonderful. Just a thought in case you decide to update it at some point.

8. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

I'd kinda like to see more weapons involved in the pictures...usually only swords. but i can live with that. great work. and if you could do Kalshane's ideas it would rock...i personally just made a team in ironman by making characters with both packs for each sex so 2 of each character and choose the one i liked best when done it worked great.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I don't really like weapons to much in the portraits cos it kinda seems strange that the picture of my monk is holding a greatsword - something like that

10. Cerulean the Blue

That is a great idea. I have no idea if I can actually implement it. I had to jump through a lot of hoops dealing with the mechanics of the system just to get all but two of the portraits to show up in the four packs. I did recomend browsing the packs first using dummy characters to get an idea of which pack you want to use for which character. Maybe I should have suggested taking notes, but I thought that was obvious.

Heavydan - I didn't make any of these portraits. I just used what was available and put it into a (hopefully) easier to use format. If you want to make some portraits I will gladly include them in any upcoming new version of the pack.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  11. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

Yeah I agree with cujo on second thought. although if you do find a picture the matches character race, class, planned armor, and weapon and still looks cool it is amazing, but that almost never happens and would take about ::prepares the hyperbole police:: a million pictures

12. maalri

maalri Immortal

This is a great, wonderful, fabulous addition, thank you to all involved!!

Again, thanks for taking the time and effort to do it up for us. :)

13. Akalabethian

Akalabethian Member

Thanks, I did find the vanilla portrait selection in the game too limited (and some look downright retarded).

One question: do you reckon these are OK with the extra fixes people released in the past weeks to fix some broken tidbits in mod 4.0.0 (the famous "only 10 downloads") ? Thanks.

14. Cerulean the Blue

To my knowledge nothing anybody has released since 4.0.0 has made any changes to the portraits or PC voice files. So yes, this should be compatable with all of that.

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

More to the point, the Drow etc were included so that LATER yet-2-b-released stuff would still be compatible with this pack.

Ain't we wise :nerd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!