Nulb question (dealing with Dala) (might be a spoiler)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by notepad, Mar 26, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. notepad

notepad Member

This is my first time playing ToEE and I am stuck.

I have the Gog.com version of the game with the CO8 modpack. My party has reached Nulb and I'm trying to go into the inn to talk to people. The problem is that Dala seems to pickpocket my party each and every time.

I've been searching online and cannot find a way to stop her. I have rearranged my party numerous times, but every time I enter the inn, the characters are always standing in the same places. So I cannot get a "good" arrangement of the party.

Every time, Dala bypasses my characters with high Spot and goes for the one of two lower-spot characters.

I have tried putting my high spot character first, last, in the middle, etc but again every time my party enters the inn they are in a preset arrangement that totally disregards my formation. I've tried selecting only my high-spot character and entering the inn, but of course the rest of the party follows and it doesn't matter what character I lead with.

After she pickpockets, I can't even manually start a fight--she and everyone else has green circles and is unattackable.

Short of stripping naked and leaving everything I can on the ground outside, are there any suggestions for being able to visit the inn without items going missing?

I would like to be able to finish this game--I'm horrible about getting to a frustrating part in a game and putting it aside and never finishing. I've run into a number of sticky points in this game but so far have eventually managed to work around them or find suggestions online. Not so for Dala, however.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Use your high spot charecter to go through the door. Select them, then click the door.

3. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I think Dala might select her victim at random - this pick pocketing thing is hard coded and a bit silly - wait until you see her wearing your fighter's full plate armour.....

I am not sure I get this green circle thing though - You can magic missile one of your own pcs if you want to and magic missiling Rentsch will certainly start a fight....

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

5. notepad

notepad Member

Thanks for the link about the party order at the bottom of the screen. I never knew that could be rearranged--I always just used the "formation" option. I'll give that a try and see if that helps.

My party is all lvl 5 with two lvl 6 NPCs. My highest spot skill is 12 on a lvl 5 character--I would have thought that was high enough as most of my other skills are no higher than 7 on any other character.

I have tried selecting my ranger (spot=12) as the only selected character and walking him to the door, but the party is always in the same formation on the other side and my wizard (spot=5) or one of my fighters (spot=2) always gets pickpocketed. I'll try the order of the portraits on the bottom.

6. notepad

notepad Member

Update: switching the order of the party portraits helps a lot, along with keeping the "rolls" window open. It turned out before that sometimes she wasn't attempting to pickpocket me (I thought the rolls window was not working before as nothing would appear in it).

I made note of which characters got pickpicketed more often (reloading several times) and swapping higher spot-check characters to those slots. However, Dala still picks a random character (she has yet to have picked my highest two spot-check characters) but at least now on a few reloads I've been able to bust her. Now I gotta see how I want to play it out.

Thanks again for the help.

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

IIRC, that's spot on - she'll pick the character who actually opened the door.

PS Rather than start the fight with Dala, it's (probably) a better idea to resolve it peacefully, since there's a more curious option to get rid of the gang with high bluff.

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

To emphasize what has been said, ToEE has no limitation on attacking NPCs... try manually selecting an attack option from the radial menu and then clicking on the desired target.

9. Lava

Lava Established Member

Pretty sure my party killed her and took the item off her corpse, or unconscious body, or something like that.

Our Host!