Hireling loot and training

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Mathalor, Jan 25, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. Mathalor

Mathalor Member

I have five pcs in my group. I just finished the temple and got to verbobonc for the first time. I'd like to train some npc hirelings from hommlet up to level 12 to 15, for crafting purposes mostly.

Where's the best place to go for training via random encounter? What's the best place to go to for money via random encounter?

How exactly does a hireling "portion of the loot" work? Is it a random chance that a given item won't appear on a monster/in a chest?

2. Mathalor

Mathalor Member

Do any of the npc hirelings in this game have stats and alignment and deity to become a cleric with the good domain, or is that meant specifically for PCs?

3. Mathalor

Mathalor Member

One more question.

I bought a bunch of scrolls from senshock's apprentice. I noticed a high level scroll of "emotion," which my druid can use. I can't find a spell description, though, either through the game or through the srd, and, unless it's 8th or 9th level, my druid cannot prepare it normally.

What does the "emotion" scroll do?

4. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

A good 'grinding ' spot for experience and cash is level 4 of the Temple. Rest in the spot where you killed Hedrick and you will be accosted by Ettins.
    My experience with NPCs is that even if they have loot conditions they either will not pick it up or it will be in their inventory for you to transfer to one of your PCs. Anyway they will tell you their loot conditions if you talk to them about joining.

5. Mathalor

Mathalor Member

Hmm, I was doing temple level 3 or 4 for loot, and the water node for exp. But my experience gains started to slow as my followers leveled up. At about the time they reached level 9, I left the temple and started farming for world map random encounters. Now the gains from those are starting to slow too.

I was hoping there was some better place or places which I could access from verbobonc.

Concerning hireling loot, I remember taking Roland into the moat house with me, trying to loot the lizard on the first floor down, and not finding the magic shield.

That was a long time ago, though. I may be misremembering.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    BrotherSmythe likes this.
  6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Re: The Emotions Scroll, it was probably meant to be Calm Emotions, the spell is second level bard/cleric/druid though this one is probably for bards only as it's likely to be the arcane version which would explain not only why Clerics and Druids can't use it and why Wizards can't learn it.

7. Mathalor

Mathalor Member

druids can use it, clerics cannot. It is divine, caster level 15.

I have yet to reach level 15 on my druid for level 8 spells, but I can't find it in the game's spells section from it's help feature, nor online in the SRD.

8. BrotherSmythe

I believe that your only options are : 1.Elmo,meets stat and alignment but his diety is Old Faith so I'm not sure if it can work.
    2.Ronald, already a cleric, doesn't have the good domain but has the law domain.
    3.Make a level one PC,pick him up at the Welcome Wench and go to town on his training .

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hmm ok, a little investigation on that one is needed then I think. It is most likely to have been added by mistake as the scroll merchant is only suposed to be selling Arcane scrolls, it is a Wizard's workshop afterall.

10. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Use Temple+ and the X.P. option to build your X.P up. I've stopped at level 5 or 6 and squatted on level 3 with Meleny until I had enough to take her to level 15 with enough left to Craft 4 +5 amulets on Natural Armor among other things

11. BrotherSmythe

With Meleny you went from level 3 to 15 by holding off level advancement? That's huge but would take a goodly amount of discipline.

12. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

The Party was level 5, I like squatting on level 3 of the Temple outside Smigmal's room as you often get Ettins

Our Host!