Happy Sad

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Nickolovski, Jul 6, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Nickolovski

Nickolovski Member

Hey all,
    Happy to be back playing TOEE after so many years but sad as I seem to be at an impasse in the game.
    New to CO8 so sorry if this is not the correct protocol for posts here but I'll launch into my problem.
    I have installed the gog.com version of the game and tried to install the KOTB module. Not sure if it worked but enjoying the new content of the game so far.
    I got my five member party up to 4th level and went to kill off the bugbears in the moathouse for some crafting xp. I had already acquired the reputation for clearing out the moathouse.

I went back to Hommlet but every time on arrival it launches into a dialogue with Brother Smyth, who seems to be in attack stance, and the game freezes.
    Sad.

I Windows key out of the game and try to shut it down but can't. I have to do a computer restart. Making me sadder.
    I've tried going back to much earlier saves and get the same problem. A few much earlier saves don't trigger the problem until a few map changes later. I have tried entering Hommlet from each of the three entry points but more sadness.
    I've discovered the extraplanar chest in the moathouse. Earlier, I tried using the two scrolls of extraplanar chest and they made the game crash every time. My wizard couldn't use them so my bard used Use magic device. I gave up on the scrolls but one seemed to have "disappeared" from my inventory. Maybe this was how the chest appeared in the moathouse, in the first ghoul area? I tried using the chest but it made the game crash. Left it in the moathouse.
    Before returning to the moathouse I went madly pickpocketing. Could the chest and/or the pickpocketing have jammed up the game? On top of that I have made plenty of scrolls with my three spellcasters. Possibly not relevant but it may help with other problems.
    Could I play the game without ever going back to Hommlet, start on Nulb and discover the temple from there and clear it out? Is there a Verbobonc trigger from somewhere else than Hommlet? Am I even understanding the Verbobonc mod correctly? Do I have it!?
    I had hoped to get more scrolls from Burne's trader and rob Jaroo and the St C. priests but I can give up on that. Sadder still.
    I'll try to continue again later and bypass that damn Brother Smyth!

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Are you using the latest version of the game? I could swear that a note was included inside the extraplanar chest that warned folks about the possibility of it crashing the game if the player did certain things...

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I recommend re-activating the module 8.0.1NC via the front end loader and take care not to do anything else while the module is activating, no alt-tabing, no surfing the web, absolutely nothing but watching the screen and clicking when prompted. I know this sounds a little draconian, but it can make a world of difference.

And please let us know how it turns out.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

It certainly seems your game is broken somehow, were you under the impression you were playing the KotB module as your post suggests? If so, you're not... You may want to uninstall ToEE delete the leftover folder, reinstall your GoG version, download and install Co8 v8.1.0 NC (and KotB v1.01) and be sure to use the TFE-X shortcut to activate your chosen module and launch the game.

You may also consider using Temple+ which is a standalone engine overhaul project which can be applied to the Co8 mod (unsure if KotB support has been added).

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

KotB support has been added as of 1.0.12.

6. Nickolovski

Nickolovski Member

Thanks for your replies,

I've since gone back to an earlier save and the game is running fine.
    I've avoided the extraplanar chest and scroll, although I really need it with all the scrolls I've made.
    Yes I think my game is broken. I uninstalled it once and then reinstalled it. When I installed the KotB module the TFE-X shortcut didn't come up. Am I misunderstanding this? Is there a way to open it otherwise?
    I'm enjoying the Temple now so happy to play on and looking forward to Verbobonc.
    When it comes to playing KotB I may try to just uninstall and reinstall that if it's possible.
    Thinking to do a total restart/reinstall but enjoying my 5th level characters and very attached to my highest-tier crafted items. One thing I've only just realised is I can't, with my cleric's Strength and Luck domains, make a holy weapon. Major bummer! Hopefully all the other bonuses I can apply make up for that. Also I seem pretty powerful already.
    But seems sad that all the way to 20th I can't have +2d6 holy damage. A reason to do a restart/reinstall?
    I have no idea about the console usage. Picked up vague information from some posts.
    Man I love this game and to think that I can play to 20th level is awesome.
    Hats off to the modding community!

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

You need the Good domain to craft Holy weapons, but there are a few you can obtain through game play and further enchant when you have enough money and XP to burn.

8. Nickolovski

Nickolovski Member

Thanks, actually I just did the Meleny quest and got Filliken's Radiant Longsword. Is there anywhere to get a masterwork shortbow for my rogue? They seem unobtainable.

Found out how to open the console and found some codes for weapons.
    http://dongyrn.thegrahamdesign.com/toee/weapon_codes.txt

Found a code for a masterwork shortbow but somehow not working.

I entered the code:
    give{4202}

And got four arrows instead. They are titled something like:
    Arrow DO NOT USE

Bit scary so I dropped them.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You don't use the { } brackets, just the number within them, so...

Give 4202

...will work just fine, that weapon list is likely going to be wrong for your install anyway, in your rules/mes/description.mes file (opens with notepad) you will find a complete list of everything you will (and won't) possibly want.

Or you could just solve the woodcutters problem and have him sell you a selection of masterwork composite bows or a repeating crossbow... ;)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  10. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

If you do a certain quest in Homlett it will help another NPC that then should be able to help you in your desire to purchase masterwork missile weapons...

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Just checked, the masterwork shortbow is indeed part of that package.

TFE-X is specifically designed, as suggested, to swap between modules, but I'd play through them separately myself. More fun to concentrate on one and see it through.

12. Nickolovski

Nickolovski Member

Looking for the swamp lotus!

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Random consoling of items is never a good idea because the results can be unpredictable. For example, the do not use arrows you consoled in may very well have corrupted your saves(s), because they're marked do not use for a reason - they're based on prototypes that the game doesn't parse properly as regular items in the game world, and every time you load a save where they now exist (whether you're carrying them or not), the game tries to load what's essentially an unloadable object and fails.

We have a wealth of information here at your disposal that's accumulated over many many years, including a sticky thread about consoling items in the Modding forum, so I'd suggest using those resources rather than pulling random info from the web.

14. Nickolovski

Nickolovski Member

Thanks will do.
    I forget where I put those damn arrows.

15. Nickolovski

Nickolovski Member

So trying to find the console codes here at co8.... Could someone point me in the right direction?

Our Host!