Gimp a Photoshop replacement

Discussion in 'Maps, Textures, and Graphics' started by Ax Thrower, Sep 27, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

In my quest to find newer/better free programs, I have run across Gimp. It is not a clone of Photoshop but does almost all of the PS's functions. If it is the PS brushes you like, then there are utilities to convert them over. In short this is an alternative to others out there instead of paying mega-dollars for PS, try Gimp first and if you like making graphics then decide if you want to invest inf PS..

A Windows installation file is located HERE and there is a utility to allow you to use the PS shortcuts so you can follow along in PS tutorials...

Here is some water I made in about 2 minutes using Gimp

Attached Files:

2. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Nice idea to post that Ax. I've certainly read a lot of good things about it over the years, I've also heard it's a bit harder to learn than PS but when you consider the price it sure looks good. I finaly convinced my brother to give it a try last month and he's been quite pleased.

Cuchulainn.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

a program that I find really usefull is IrfanView, I just use it to open tga's which it can do in less time than paint can open a jpg, and its free.

4. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

With the link I posted, it is a "clone" of the paintshop layout, including pretty much the same terminology on the shortcuts... makes using PS tutorials really easy.. and it is already compiled and set up for Windows so you don't have to screw around with it..

Our Host!