er-- often can't attack?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dragonalumni, Mar 7, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

often my melee characters, paladin, barbarian, fighter have to forfeit a chance to attack for some unknown reason. for example at the start of combat they can move and even if the target is a short distance they don't get a "sword" icon over the target or any other target. sometimes it comes to their turn even the target is standing next to them they still don't get a "sword" icon hovering over the enemy. this is happening very oftem (seems every combat) regardless of who it is i want to do the attacking, how far they need to move before attacking, or who it is want them to attack.

so what's up with that?

tldr; why don't i have a sword icon when i hover over enemies in combat turns?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

tldr? What does tldr stand for?

3. Pusilanimous

Pusilanimous Member

too long; didn't read. Always thought it should be 'tl,dr?'.. anyways..

dragonalumni, I've had your problem once or twice, couldn't reproduce it, but it happens very, very occasionally.

I did however, hit my first noticable bug/glitch tonight.. I was fighting the fire cleric, the fight with all the flamebrothers and a couple of Noble Salamanders, My Barbarian, using the reward sword from Prince Thromel, made an AoO on a NS on his way to attack a flamebrother, the AoO hit and so did the normal attck against the flamebrother ,but then the fight stopped.. My Barbs action bar was empty and greyed out an even though his attack had ended it didn't move on to the next attackers turn, the game just stopped doing anything although it still looked as if it was fine, tooltips still came up, animations all still worked, it just wouldn't move on to the next turn, or do anything else, had to force quit out. :/

I'll have a lot to catch up on tomorrow, :( Though considering how the game is out of the box and the fact that I've only had 2 crashes and this, the game is remarkably more stable than I thought t would be.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

is that the fire plane? cuz your not supposed to use that sword in fire plane. this dates back to.. forever.

5. Pusilanimous

Pusilanimous Member

Fire plane? Dunno.. it's the level above the level Prince Thrommel is on, there's a bunch of different section, fire, water, etc..

Ah, so old a problem it doesn't get talked about any more? lol. :/ OK, I'll have to find something else to use when I fight there then.. any more places that reward sword shouldn't be used?

Bummer, there was only one enemy left :(

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's in the guide to successful gaming in the Co8 modpack explained thread - please see my sig.

You can sometimes get out of the loop by attempting to use a potion.

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

The infamous Fragaratch/Scathar AoO bug. Basically your AoO killed the Noble Salamander, and his fire shield then damaged you. The sword tried to again AoO retaliate for the fire shield damage, but the salamander was already dead... creating a logic break the game engine can't get through. Sometimes you can get out of it, mostly you can't. It's hardcoded in the engine, so not likely to be fixed... ever. :thumbsdow

Basic strategy: don't use Frag/Scathar in a fight with enemies that damage on contact, i.e. salamanders and the Balor. (Which is why it's a bad idea to use it in the Fire Node or the Fire Temple on lvl 3.)

8. Pusilanimous

Pusilanimous Member

Lol... I've read that wall to wall too :/

OK thx, no biggie.

9. XGP

XGP Member

Sorry for the old bump.. searched for relevent threads and found this one.

I've encountered the same issue as OP - One of my party (Zert) does not get attack prompts in combat. He has the default 'move' icon instead of the 'sword' icon. I am able to select Single Attack from the radial menu and this does work. But the default action continues to be 'move'.

There is an additional wrinkle in my case however: Zert does not trigger any reaction from enemy AI. I can run him into a room solo and no one will attack him.

I have a save game where he is acting normal that I can revert back to, but knowing this game my concern is that the damage has somehow been done and will affect other saves in the future.

Some questions:

1. is this an known issue? (either of them) is there a known cause?

2. am i safe to revert to an earlier save or do i need to start from scratch (new game/clean install)

3. I am using temple+ which I only just learned about (haven't played toee for a few years) and im using the newest version with modular portraits. is this maybe unstable? should i not load in all the portraits?

4. does keeping a large amount of saves have any known negative effect? I had about 20 going, trying to be precautious

5. temple+ seems to allow any party size - do i still need to set my intended party size in TFE-X? The only thing I did in TFE-X was activate Co8. Should i touch any other settings?

6. TFE-X used to allow toggling Humble NPC's. the option is still there but its greyed out - sometimes i like to run a game without, is this still an option?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  10. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Sounds like a faction issue. Is this only happening in the moathouse?

11. XGP

XGP Member

Yes, the moathouse is the only area I have tested it in.

Would the icon bug be a faction issue also?

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

That's what I was saying. Zert probably shares the Moathouse faction so the mobs are considered friendly to him. It's possible that Temple+ changed this (sometimes fixing one problem creates another one... I'll have to check to be sure though). I'm out of town for the next month so probably can't do much about it, but in the meantime you can probably force an attack by using the radial menu and choosing Single / Full Attack to manually attack mobs (same as you would do to attack fellow party members).
    Also this issue shouldn't affect creatures outside the Moathouse (e.g. random travel encounters and other places), let me know if that's not the case.

13. XGP

XGP Member

Alright I appreciate the explanation. If I learn anything else about the issue ill post it here.

And fyi, I've found some [very old] threads regarding this issue specifically with Zert: http://comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.narkive.com/pgRkPINW/temple-of-elemental-evil-helps-tips

EDIT:

Ok I tested a few things:

I've confirmed that Zert still has the issue in the "good" save - Its only the Bugbears and the Humans (Lareth) in the caverns below that arent hostile to him. The zombies in the cells are hostile. The animals and Brigands on the first floor (the area with the dire rats) are hostile to Zert and he functions normally.

I also loaded the "bad" save, got into a random encounter outside the moathouse and Zert is functioning normally.

Thanks again, I'm gonna continue my game now.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  14. hugin7

hugin7 Member

Our Host!