Endarire's Mods for Co8 v8.1.0

Discussion in 'Mod Submissions' started by Endarire, Nov 12, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Greetings, all!

Expanded Vendor Spell List + Get It On Your First Try: A Vendor Inventory Mod for NEW CONTENT v8.1!
    To Install
    LINK UPDATED 12 6 20

Put this in ToEE\data\rules. Overwrite your existing InvenSource.mes.

You may need to start a new game for this to work properly. For the new items to appear vendor inventories, you may need to sleep (not merely wait or camp) for a few weeks or/and progress the plot so you've found the Moathouse. There may be other conditions for vendors (mostly Burne) stocking new items.

What's it do?
    This mod changes InvenSource.mes. This mod includes the mod Get It On Your First Try (below), but ADDS certain items to vendor inventories. Mostly, this means Burne's Vendor gets many more arcane scrolls to sell early in the game so you can learn the animal buffs (bull's strength through eagle's splendor) for crafting and other spells via buyable scrolls to more allow you to pick the free Wizard spells at level time you want instead of ones you feel you need for some secondary purpose.

The intent of this mod is, again, to skip realism for convenience. I want all vendors to have all their stuff in stock at all times and I don't want to need to raise a buncha Wizard research assistants to get my main characters scrolls they should have been able to craft cooperatively with the other party casters as per D&D 3.5 RAW (Dungeon Master's Guide 215 under the Prerequisites section.) Beyond this, I want the convenience. So there.

(As an aside, I had this mod mostly ready in late 2016 but never published it until now since I didn't test it until recently. Now it works. Enjoy!)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Get It On Your First Try: A Vendor Inventory Mod for NEW CONTENT v8.1!
    To Install
    LINK

Put this in ToEE\data\rules. Overwrite your existing InvenSource.mes.

You may need to start a new game for this to work properly.

What's it do?
    This mod changes InvenSource.mes. This mod does not change what vendors have what items, only that they will always have them in stock. If the vendor restocks his inventory, he will always restock that item.

The intent of this mod is skip realism for convenience. I want all vendors to have all their stuff in stock at all times. Consider this the ToEE version of Amazon Prime, sorta.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    florian1 likes this.
  2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hey this is great, I was sure someone somewhere out there did a mod very similar to this one some 12 years ago by adding a vendor in a new place called Vobblebank or something... what happened to that guy? *shrugs, rolls eyes, and storms out.*

3. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

This expanded vendor list is mostly for arcane scrolls. Burne got the most, though Calmert and Screng's Vendor may also have some. This was done in my understanding of the spirit of the original game, meaning scrolls of vanilla ToEE spells only of a spell level between 1 and 5.

Wizards in 3.x are an oddity for their class features since scrolls and spellbooks contain spells which are, effectively, their class features and which can be traded for in-game currency. ToEE was also coded in such a way that level 2 scrolls are scarce early game, but these spells (animal buffs, knock, invisibility, and likely others) are quite useful in crafting and many are debatably more useful there than for regular casting. Due to how ToEE's engine works, cooperative crafting (like having a Cleric and Wizard work together to produce an arcane scroll of bull's strength) and independent spell research (aside from out-of-game modding or leveling other in-game arcane casters to provide scrolls) are impossible despite being RAW. Furthermore, Clerics and Druids still get more HP on average, a second good save, armor proficiency and armored casting, and full spell list knowledge automatically, amongst other factors. This mod alleviates these in large part by allowing players to purchase more scrolls should they have the funds and feel less inclined to research in guides what Wizard spells exist much further in-game.

Remember, it's an option.

Thankee!

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Doesn't sound familiar... :p

Allyx likes this.
Our Host!