Elven Chain vs Mithral Shirt

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BrotherSmythe, Sep 6, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

I used to be a die hard fan of elven chain and I would outfit my entire party with it. Then I discovered the mithral shirt. Compare their qualities :
    Blue Elven Chain. Mithral Shirt
    Wgt-15. Wgt-10
    AC-+8. AC-+7
    Max Dex-+4. Max Dex-+6
    ACP--3. ACP-0
    Spell Fail-5% Spell Fail-10%

These stats reflect the better elven chain and the +3 mithral shirt of course. When I realized that mithral had 0 armor class penalty I started to convert to it. Also it weighs less and has a better dex bonus. Lately my characters have higher dex so the switch to mithral was obvious. I still use elven chain,especially the blue for the occasional sorcerer or wizard when appropriate.
    Mithral shirts are a little more rare however. Smigmals two assassins have them and the assassin that the traders set on you has one. There may be more available but I can't recall where...

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

At higher levels, IE when you can make Gloves of Dexterity +3 and with very high natural dexterity, you would actually have a better AC with Padded Armour +3 and bracers of armour +5, especially when also using a Buckler +3, Ring of Protection +5, Amulet of Natural Armour +5, and had Protection from Evil, and Reduce Person cast on you... (AC 43 for medium characters, or AC 44 for small characters).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    BrotherSmythe likes this.
  3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

In my opinion a mithril shirt should be superior to finely crafted Elven Mail, mithril is exceptionally rare in the DnD world and should be treated accordingly.

It saved Frodo's butt from a one hit kill. ;)

Gehennis and BrotherSmythe like this.
  4. BrotherSmythe

Good ideas of course. Any crafting advice for those recommendations? Actually, I created a new thread for that,but still...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. BrotherSmythe

And 'tis light as a feather

sirchet likes this.
  6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Allyx, I Hate to say this but armor bonuses DO NOT STACK ! ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#armorBonus ) Using +3 Padded Armor and +5 Bracers of Armor would only get you a net Armor Bonus of + 5 not +9. If I may drop my 2 GP in the Mithril vs Elvin Chain debate: Keep in mind that the Blue Elvin chain comes with the +3 Armor bonus when you get it, the Mithril Shirts need to be crafted.

7. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

In TOEE, the Enhancement Bonus from any magic armor stacks with any Armor Bonus (whether it's from the armor itself, or from Bracers of Armor or Mage Armor.) This seems to be an exploit. So +5 Bracers and +3 Padded Armor will give you an AC of 18.

There is a similar exploit with magic bucklers, where the Enhancement Bonus from the magic buckler is always used, even at times when the buckler doesn't apply its bonus to your AC.

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yup, the "Armour Bonus" for padded armour is only 1 AC, the Bracers of Armour +5 added to the +3 Enchantment bonus from the padded armour is used though for a total of 8 AC bonus.

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Don't forget the Black Elven Chain in Verbobonc...

10. BrotherSmythe

Yes but with 0 acp and a higher dex bonus you can afford the 1 point loss in ac and money soon won't be a problem.

11. BrotherSmythe

Ahhhhh. I've heard of it but have yet to find it. I'm told it's identical to the blue armor.

12. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

It's for sale at the 7 ELVEN shop in Verbobonc. It's almost the same as Blue Elven Chain except that is has a Max Dex Bonus of +8, which is bordering on ridiculously overpowered.

Also, I think it is not for sale in their initial inventory. You have to trade them, then leave and rest for a day, and after coming back a few times they will have it in stock.

13. BrotherSmythe

Best tip evah.

14. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Ot's also available by mugging tje drow ranger who hangs round with the dwarves in Hommlet quarry (though by that late in the game you've probably run out of people to fight anyway, so aren't really after an armour upgrade).
    Is there any masterwork cloth armor available? I'm looking for something with 0% chance of spell failure for my Eldritch Knight and Mystic Theurge.

15. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

What's better depends on your needs and the situation.

Our Host!