Can't Patch to GoG

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Jan 28, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. UncleBuck

UncleBuck Member

Just purchased the ToEE download from GoG and installed it successfully. Then I downloaded Patch 1, Patch 2, and NC 6.0. But they don't work. When I try to run the patches, I get an error message saying "cannot locate ToEE, Any English, on your computer." Any suggestions??

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

GoG ToEE comes fully patched, so you don't need to add the Atari patches. What happens specifically when you run the Co8 installation utility?

When the patch utilities and TFE-X run, they look for the toee executable (among possibly other things). If they can't find it, you get an error message. (TFE-X usually says "you must run from the root directory.") The toee executable sometimes is misidentified as a trojan and deleted or quarantined by anti-virus software. If that happens, the patch utilities and TFE-X won't be able to find it, because it's not there. If that's the case, you need to either add toee.exe as an exception to your AV, disable your AV, or uninstall your AV altogether in some circumstances. (Comodo is notorious for the latter.)

None of this is Co8's fault, and there's nothing we can do about it. It's an error on the part of the AV software. toee.exe is not a trojan.

Both GoG ToEE as downloaded and the Co8 modpack contain a no-cd version of the executable which circumvents the DRM process. This is the type of executable that some AV software doesn't like, unfortunately. GoG set the precedent for this in order to avoid DRM (which is a feature of all GoG games). Co8 followed suit primarily to ensure that players were using the correct executable, which is vital to the mod's proper operation.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
Our Host!