caves of chaos

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by cork, Mar 7, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. cork

cork Member

So, I kill a chief bugbear and acquire his key. It goes to the spot in your journal that says keys. I find his chess. When I go to open the chest the key symbol pops up, then nothing happens. I can't get access to the chess. Is there something I need to do to use the keys?

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I'm not sure if this was intentional, or they missplaced the mob. But here's how I was able to do it.

Give someone a reach weapon, like a glaive. Then also give them Enlarge Person. The combo of the two lets you reach the chest.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Wait, you need a 15' reach to open a chest with a key? Is it because the chest is unreachable... IE you can't walk close enough to it to open it?

4. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Yeah, the mob is placed within blocked sector tiles behind the bed.

It was put that way, I assume, to simulate the original module:

"There is a gray chest stuck up on a ledge near the ceiling which will only be spotted if the room is carefully searched. It contains... (details removed) ...It will take three or four strong characters to bring this down safely"

5. cork

cork Member

Thanks for the help will try that today. A little note pop up would have been helpful saying "the chest is out of your reach" or something like that.

6. cork

cork Member

Well the enlarge and glaive did not work. But on a hunch I tried to lasso with my rope. And it worked! Used the rope, pulled the chest down, opened just fine. I have to say that was a pretty clever way they set that up. Kudos to the design team.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Heh, just saw this. Glad you figured it out in the end (and liked it), sorry if the art work was not clear (my fault, not BLB's).

Even more glad to hear someone looked at it and thought, "I'll need to cast 'Enlarge' to get that" and it WORKED! That's how a good game should function: so consistently that players can do stuff the designers never even thought of and they work fine.

Our Host!