troubles with spider eggs.

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Danny the lazy Paladin, Nov 28, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. Danny the lazy Paladin

Danny the lazy Paladin Member

so I've been looking on here for how to dispose of my 6 spider eggs and nothing.
    I tried this a few way and always end up with them if I kill the spider queen but that leads me to have 6 eggs I can't sell or give to someone. i kill her for the 400xp which is very nice.

can someone suggest on how to get rid of them or should i just drop them?

thanks in advance.
    i would also like to help build the walkthrough page but no idea how.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

3. Danny the lazy Paladin

I've read it 6 times now and it has no answer to my question.
    basically, if you take the spider queens quest and get all 7 eggs you can...

Options
    1.give them to her and leave it there. aka get rid of eggs but only 31XP
    2.give them to her and kill her right after=about 300xp and 6 spider egg as loot.
    3. refuse her and kill her/underlings= 400-500xp and 6 spider eggs.

I chose to kill her for xp but that still leaves me with 6 spiders eggs i want to "sell"

its not a big deal and i've started a new/ second run so if there is no way to get rid of them i will just kill everything for xp.

4. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Here's a quick hint:

Flay the undertaker wants them.

If you want the full spoiler, here it is:

First accept and complete the first quest Flay gives you "The Silk Road", which is where he asks you for spider silk. Once you bring him the silk, he will ask you to do another quest "Eight-legged Freaks" where he wants a small live spider. This quest is completed by bringing him the eggs, which is just as good as a spider to him.

Keep in mind that the timing on some of the KOTB dialogs can be unforgiving, and if you miss the right dialog chain there is no second chance to get the quest. So read the choices carefully, and save before talking.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Since this fella has gone from 7 eggs to 6 I think we can assume he is taking Flay's quest into account.

The simple answer is, throw the eggs away - they can't be sold. I could add something for Fanny to buy the eggs and make you spider egg omelettes, but then people would sell them before figuring out Flay's quest, and I'd get complaints about that.
    Really? Well I tried very hard to avoid that - for instance, the Lizard King will actually throw you an egg if you fulfil that whole plot line without first meeting the Spider Queen (whether you give the egg to her or Flay is your choice) - but some of the plots did get unwieldingly complex.

6. marc1967

Sorry, that wasn't meant as a criticism, it's just the way some of the dialogs give you one chance and if you fail there is no repeat. I honestly don't know which is the better way to do it.

In one case, it provides realism but will end the chain forever if you miss. In the other case, which is what you get in almost all dialogs in the original game, it gives you a chance to complete the dialog with repeated attempts, but it can runs through the exact same 5 pages of dialog over and over, which can be silly.

I can't think of any specific examples from KOTB, but I do remember this coming up. Usually it's when you are talking to an NPC and you need a certain Diplomacy or Sense Motive or whatever to get the dialog to the next stage. So, if you need a score of 8 and you only had 6, you can't reopen 2 levels later and re-run the same dialog.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Constructive criticism is always welcome (I'm famous for being accepting of it - or at least, infamous). In some cases this will be deliberate - realism, as you say - but in others it will be a bug or oversight. Mention specific examples by all means.

Off topic - how is your mod going, Marc?

sirchet likes this.
  8. Danny the lazy Paladin

here's an idea, would you be able to give the undertaker the ability to buy the leftover eggs but the dialogue option only shows up when you have the spider queen quest and catch a live spider quests completed then add a "timer" of some sort so when you talk to him again he says he wants more spiders.which can turn into a quest on turning him in or something :( I've only got to lvl 4 so far)

this assumes you gave the spider queen her eggs back then attacked her, well maybe you get a quest to go kill her afterward since she won't stop attacking travelers.

thank you guys for all your hard work and help here.

9. marc1967

Thanks for asking. It's going slow, but progressing very well. It's nice to be past the learning stage and be fluent in most parts of modding now, so whenever I want to do something I don't get derailed for 2 days or 2 weeks while I learn how to do it - like photoshop, the worldmap, strategy, python scripts, dialogs, townmaps, npc meshes, clothing meshes, portraits, sound, particles, slides, spells, etc.. I was spending 90% of my time for the first year just learning, then the next year it was like 50/50 learning/modding. Now that I'm up to speed, most of my time actually goes to making something.

I should be done within 2 years, having started 3 years ago. I'd say I'm about 50% there right now. Maybe I'll post something at some point, but I don't want to put something out that will make anyone think it's coming soon, and get me stressed into any kind of deadline situation from excitement.

My original goal was a level 1-20 campaign, but I've revised it to making a level 1-12 adventure with heavily trimmed XP rewards. IMO, once characters get to high levels in this game, it's very tough to make a challenging encounter without a living breathing DM to monitor abuseable magic and such.

Our Host!