Co8 wands and scrolls

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by djtommyc, Aug 14, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. djtommyc

djtommyc Member

I think the following things have changed. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following facts:

1) Wands are created with 20 charges.
    2) There is no way to check how many charges a wand has left.
    3) A wand with only 1 charge left can still be sold for normal price.
    4) Using a wand or scroll causes an attack of opportunity.
    5) When created, a wand or scroll's spell will be at the creators current level. Int bonus is not applied.

I'm really confused on what happens when a character who is not normally able to cast a spell tries to use a wand or scroll. I think it has something to do with the "use magic device" feat. Can someone explain it?

2. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

the radial menu should show how many charges are left.
    When crafting a Wand, depending upon the spell, you can choose the Caster level
    "Use Magic device", Skill level + attribute modifier roll VS DC based on power of item I.E Wand of sleep a LOT easier to use then say a scroll of Meteor Swarm
    Note- Use magic device allows you to try using any class restricted item.

3. djtommyc

djtommyc Member

Thanks for the info. I points of clarification: Does a character need a successful "Use Magic Device" check to each time or only the first time they try to use it?

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

That's only with Temple+. Also wands will be created with 50 charges (in Temple+).

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

True unless using Temple+ in which case it's 50 charges.
    There is an optional mod that added this functionality, which was included in Temple+ as standard.
    True due to an engine limitation.
    True as per the PnP rules.
    There is an optional mod which adds wands of different casting levels for spells with variable damage dice (fireball, lightning bolt, magic missile etc...), I believe it has been included in Temple+ as standard.

Use Magic Device is only used when the spell in the scroll/wand is not in the owners class spell list. Your Skill ranks in Use Magic Device increase your chance of triggering the item as if the required abilities were a part of your class/race abilities.

6. djtommyc

djtommyc Member

Should a character with the "Use Magic Devise" skill be able to attempt to use any magical device?

For example, I have a rouge with UMD and he doesn't seem to have the option to attempt to use various scrolls.

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

He should be able to use any identified magical scroll/wand/rod/staff/ring/wondrous item that normally requires the use of a spell/class/class ability/alignment that he does not normally possess. He doesn't need UMD for potions as all you need to do is drink it to make it work.

Our Host!