Corrupt save files AGAIN GRRRRRRRR

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by DaveWomble, Jul 15, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

Not sure where the best place is for my rant but I'm extremely frustrated navigating the site and forums so this is where I ended up. I'm very very f&#king aggravated with the constant "due to an unknown.....your save game is corrupt". The game is unplayable for me. I've started over 4 times now and made it as far as dungeons in the Temple. Got my party up to 9th level. And then all my save files become junk. Mind you I've read the suggestions stating "save often!" Riiiiiight. I think 14 save slots all corrupt is rediculous. Wtf is the problem? Irate doesn't begin to cover how I feel right now after wasting many many hours playing essentially for nothing now. I'm running final versions and patches of game/mod. What causes this to happen so often and completely

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Are you using the console at all? I have heard it causes a lot of the corrupted files. (I never use the console and haven't had a corrupted save in ages, granted I haven't played much in several years either.)

3. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

No I haven't used console, wouldn't even know how.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Hi, if you could post the savegames it would help a lot.

5. DaveWomble

DaveWomble Member

I deleted them already, plus I don't know how. I was able to get a good reload about an hour before where I was when saves corrupted so that's what I'm doing now working back up. There's a bright side tho, I had wanted to give my cleric exotic weapon prof in spiked chain since she was close to level up and I just found the holy chain and a feat and in the corrupt saves I had goofed and given her something else. So now she's good to go.

Does it matter if you overwrite saves or do new ones each time? I've done both and both would corrupt. I'm just frustrated because this mod brought a LOT to the table and made the game soooo much better and more sensible but this corrupt save issue is not cool. Once in awhile, couple few saves ok, but when I said 14 separate save slots were corrupt I meant it. I went crazy on saves cuz I got screwed in 2 previous games where 6 and 9 slots respectively were corrupt and I had to start over. When this game first came out I got it and it wouldn't run on the system I had at the time so I shelved it and forgot all about it for like 8 years then I found it and was thrilled to try it on a more recent and better machine and was enjoying myself immensely until the first corrupt saves incident. I damn near hurled my laptop after the 14 slots were junk.

6. war3069

war3069 Member

hey Dave i dont want to add to your frustration but just a couple reminders. first and foremost make sure AUTO SAVE is disabled. the option for this is in the game options menu.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

To this day no one knows exactly why save games go corrupt. As mentioned misuse of the console can cause it, and reportedly quicksave too, but neither seem to apply here so. It's far from a common occurence however (I haven't had it despite actively trying to get it through repeated use of quicksave), so it's peculiar that you got it so often. It suggests that you're rather consistently doing whatever it is that causes it.

I don't mean to fault you of course, just that if you could provide a savegame for analysis it might be possible to diagnose the cause and hopefully recommend an effective preventive measure (and/or a fix through Temple+).

As a workaround, you may want to test your savegames before overwriting all your old ones. Also, if you have sufficient HD space, you can just always create new saves - each takes up about a few MBs so most modern machines should be able to take it.

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I only rarely have this problem, but I've noticed that sometimes quitting out and restarting the program allows you to load a save that was previously flagged as corrupt.

9. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

http://www.co8.org/community/index....e-of-eight-modpack-explained.7737/#post-91576
    and
    http://www.co8.org/community/index....le-of-eight-modpack-new-content-edition.8742/

Our Host!