Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I tried again to fix an issue with the in game font, even using the French language file for the û character, there is still an issue with it. - characters become â€" so I was gonna replace the - characters for comma's or dot's as appropriate, unless another solution can be found.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. Allyx

I managed to fine tune the maplimits.mes for all the small maps perfectly for the highest resolution available with TFE-X today, much to the GF's displeasure, I had to borrow her screen for a short while to make the alterations. I also removed an extra Old Jed and an extra Townsperson who were both located off the edges of their interior maps.

Hopefully I'll get all my testing done this weekend and post the patch, and/or the Demo FINAL version. @Gaear, how would I go about getting an installer version made to upload to ModDB?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

You had a couple people hiding in the walls, like in Stranger Things?

4. Allyx

Yeah, kinda like that... the extra Old Jed is more noticeable since his magic dagger glows in the dark, the extra townswoman in one of the houses I discovered by a chance mouse hover on her location. Both eradicated for the next build though.

By the by, I don't know how you managed to get double the number of Orc Shamen in your game @FDR4PREZ, I know I don't have them.

5. FDR4PREZ

They appear on top of each other:
    upload_2017-6-22_16-31-7.png

Not sure how it happened only to the two shaman locations in the Orc Cave and no other monster in the game. I was kinda hoping for two ogres for the challenge :D

Typically whenever you release a patch I start off with my "ToEE-IWD no patch, yet" backup folder and then I install the latest patch, but this last time I simply used the Add On button for Patch 4 into my Patch 3 installation.

6. Allyx

They spawn on top of eachother because they are two versions of the same monster, one was supposed to replace the other, only for some reason you still have both sets of .mob files.

The issue will be fixed for sure with a new full Demo release soon, hopefully by the end of the weekend. When I'm 100% happy with the version I'm working on, I'll upload the Demo FINAL version, then crack on with Kuldahar and The Vale of Shadows... which I'm really looking forward to do now.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's not the apostrophe thing, is it? Apostrophes in some fonts turn into a clump of symbols like that, but it's easily fixed by just doing a search and replacing all the apostrophes with new ones. (Somehow a non-native version can get mixed in there - maybe from sharing files between different systems or keyboards or something like that.)

Al, I found that just making multiple mobs and turning them on or off based on conditions is often better than spawning. (That's how the whole of WotGS is done - quite easy in WorldEd.)

The process is surprisingly painful and niggly, so if you want you can just point me at the final version and I'll build one for you. (After agonizing over it for a few Co8 builds, I finally had the bright idea to actually document the steps. ;))

8. Allyx

http://www.dashhyphen.com/dash-keyboard/

Could be something to do with the type of dash used, I'll try these variations when I get home.

I think the mob issue was due to one mob having been removed and replaced by one of the patches, only the removed .mob files have remained in FDR's game as well as the new ones.

I'll let you know when I have a final version I'm happy with Gaear, thank you in advance for the installer work.

EDIT: en-dash's and em-dash's result in the same â€" symbol. :(

However this version - does work... exactly which Unicode number that character is I don't know, I found it here under the entry for 7, I think it's a regular hyphen.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms892155.aspx

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  9. Allyx

Ok, so I just finished running through the original IWD with a 6 man party and accumulated an average of 3576 xp per party member. Which would put Characters just over 3rd level in 3.5 ed, but in 2nd ed, mostly 2nd level (Bards and Thieves would reach 3rd level at that xp level though).

My current progress in ToEE:IWD is at the start of Kuldahar Pass. I was hoping to have both runs completed by now, so testing is gonna take a little longer.

I am considering lowering the amount of arrows carried by all Orc and Goblin archers, and need to take a look at the random loot containers again as I'm sure some bits are missing from at least 2 of them.

Also I need to adjust the maplimits for the Orc cave entrance map (with the wolves and Orc that runs), apparently I missed that one.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. FDR4PREZ

No need to rush the release of the full demo release until you are comfortable with it, even if you need to first release another test patch for additional testing.

11. Allyx

Yeah I know, it's just that being so close to complete makes me feel excited... finding new little bits that need fixing and tweaking is a seemingly never ending task.

Test, Tweak, Fix, Repeat...

12. FDR4PREZ

Words that a good programmer should live by:

[​IMG]

13. Allyx

Ok, so my 6 man party finished ToEE:IWD ON 4740 xp each, and I killed Gherag instead of curing him, think I will replace some live Goblins and Bugs with dead ones and see if that helps get closer to the original.

EDIT: If my maths and memory are correct, making 3 beetles outside the cave (CR2 x3), and about 8 goblins (3 inside the cave, 5 outside the cave) in total (CR1/3 x8) dead before the fight, PC's will still have PC's about 500xp higher than they should have at that stage.

I will try again with even lower CR's for quest completion rewards and the ammendments noted above.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  14. FDR4PREZ

In the North Pass map that the 3 beetles on the outside of the cave are already dead, and so are the 5 goblins just outside of the beetle cave, and inside the beetle cave all the goblins are already dead but the beetles are alive.

So that is 9 goblins and 3 beetles you can nix completely. If you make these two maps match the original game then maybe that should help with the XP balance, but then we lose the neat gas attack graffix of the beetles.

Also, in the original IWD, if you kill Ghereg you get very little (270) XP, but if you cure him then you get a very large (1200) XP reward. Curing him appears to be the 'good' thing to do, so you can at least nurf his death XP reward in your version to better match the original game.

15. Allyx

Ok, so killing the beetles and goblins was surprisingly easy. I added damage to the critters in WorldEd. :) Though it didn't have as much impact on the final xp as I'd hoped, my team ended with 4570xp each. I'll try adjusting Gherag's defeated CR to 0, but I still think adjusting the quest CR's again is necessary.

No time to test today, but the alterations mentioned are done, I'll re-test from the beginning and post the results tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
Our Host!