Elves in the Temple - a Co8 FanFic and partial walk thru

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Old Book, Oct 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Thanks.

This takes the gang through to about the mid point of Nulb, leaving only nine or ten quest related bits I can think of (Otis revelation, Screng revelation, Bertram romance with fist fight, assassination of Lordis, completion of Tooth of Pain, ambush, three-four Waterside Hostel sequences), plus one non-quest related Co8 location I'd like them to visit. I only plan to cover about five or six of the quest bits.

When I did the Hommlet quests in EitT, I ended up just summing most of them up. That was a time saver, but story wise I wasn't that happy with it. This time I've tried to stay with the party through each quest. Not sure how well it's working.

I'm heading to GenCon (big P&P gaming convention) on Wednesday, so if there is another update this week, it'll probably be on Tuesday.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Have fun, and shamelessly promote KotB while you're there! If you've a mind to, get us a pic for the cam-hos thread; one of you enjoying yourself would be alright, one of you & Gygax would be even better!

:beer:

3. Old Book

Thanks. :)

Haven't seen Gygax at the last few GenCon's, though I know he was there for the 30th anniversary.

Rich Berlew won't be attending this year either, due to health reasons. I'll try to get a few shots of the WotC booths. ;)

4. phoamslinger

phoamslinger Member

I registered just so I could thank you for the awesome story so far.

I'm still trying to make it through the game for the first time. You'll probably appreciate my "Neutral" party OB; two NG male humans - a fighter and a bard, a LN dwarven cleric, a CN human female rogue, a NE male halfling ranger and a Neutral (and very androgenous) elvish wizard. Half the fun is of course the game, but the other half of the fun is watching the Order of the Stick stomping through the moathouse.

Next update?

5. Old Book

The OotS rock; a must play party.

Been trying to get the next story segment together for a while now. So, next update "soon". ;)

6. Dellik

Dellik Fallen

Wow, just finished the series (to date) I have played Toee through once already, and played it to the temple (and a bit ) a few times with desperate housewives added in.. and still you have shown me a few things I had missed(some of thm due to moved/added/adjusted quests) Not to mention a very very enjoyable story to go along with.. I hope you continue the excellent work!!!

7. Old Book

Part the 27th: House Party

“Let’s buy the house!” said Meleny.

“What?!” said Reynard.

“It’s a fine starter home, boy,” said Preston Wrest. “I’d not be willing to sell it at all, but you’ve done me a good turn. What say you to one-thousand gold?”

“No.” said Jack.

“Snuggle bear!” declared Meleny, clinging to Reynard, “We need a home!”

“You don’t even like it here!” Reynard cast his gaze to the others for support. It didn’t look encouraging. Hekate had a calculating look in her eye, Barbara was wearing a Cheshire grin, Perry was holding her own smile barely in check, and Dio was keeping her face carefully blank. Only Jack echoed of his own horror at the idea.

“I like it fine!” said Meleny, “Nulb is a town of adventure!”

“And pirates” helpfully added Barbara.

“No,” said Jack. “It’s a pointless expense. We have long term accommodations at the tavern in Hommlet, and we’re not staying here.”

“A word, fearless leader” said Hekate, pulling Jack back and away from Wrest. Moving smoothly, Perry engaged Wrest in conversation, and Barbara caught his gaze (which, considering the qualities of gladiator armor, was not difficult).

“This is not a subject for debate” said Jack, pulling his gaze (with some difficulty) away from Barbara.

“The house is a good idea” said Hekate.

Jack hesitated. “No, it isn’t” he ventured.

Hekate smiled and placed her right hand on Jack’s chest, as her left continued holding his wrist. “It will save us running back and forth to Hommlet.”

“There’s an Inn here,” said Jack, eyes following the line of Hekate’s arm to her shoulder, and then down, “and there’s also the brothel.”

“It will give us a secure place to store our extra gear,” Hekate answered, “and it’s impossible to get any decent rest in that brothel.”

Jack pulled his eyes back to her face. “It’s a waste of money,” said Jack, “and it makes us targets.”

“Yes” said Hekate, leaning forward and taking full advantage of her corset.

“Yes?”

“Yes,” said Hekate, “it will make us targets.”

“And that’s a good thing?” asked Jack.

“Yes,” said Hekate, “it is. We’ll be a known quantity in Nulb; friends of Grud and Preston, mercenaries for hire, and homeowners. Or, at least, shack owners.”

“That’s,” Jack paused. “OK, that’s not bad.”

“If the temple’s spies think we’re just another mercenary company, they’ll likely try to hire us. Better that than risking our interference.”

“Right,” said Jack, “and your not just suggesting we buy this place because you think playing house with Mel will make Reynard horribly uncomfortable?”

Kate’s grin almost reached her ears. “Not at all; that’s just a bonus.”

Jack nodded thoughtfully. “OK, we’ll buy the house.”

“Shack” said Hekate.

“Whatever” said Jack, as the two returned to the group.

Barbara was just finishing a series of stretches that had the main part of Preston Wrest’s attention, as Perry finished quizzing him on local rumors.

“We’ll take the place,” said Jack, “but not for one-thousand gold. We’ll give you five hundred for it.”

“Done!” said Preston.

Jack frowned as he handed over the cash. “You’d have gone lower if I’d kept pushing, wouldn’t you?”

“Not at all, son,” said Preston Wrest, “not at all.”

“We have a house!” exclaimed Meleny. “This is wonderful!”

“Yay” muttered Reynard.
    Dio’s face remained studiously blank.

As the young adventurers began to make their way towards their new house (or, arguably, shack) Preston Wrest called out to Jack.

“Hey, boy!”

Jack turned.

“Some folks have been asking around about you. Mercenaries. Tough looking bunch.”

Jack nodded. “When was this?”

“While you were collecting my money” said Wrest.

“Why didn’t you tell us sooner?”

Wrest responded with a black-toothed grin. “Didn’t know if I trusted you.”

“And you trust us now?”

“Well enough, boy. Well enough.”

Jack nodded. “Know anything else about these mercs?”

“Not much. Last saw them headed down to the Waterside Hostel. Heavily armed bunch, about half a dozen.”

“Thanks, Preston.”

The old pirate nodded.

“See?” said Hekate, as the group continued to their new home, “they trust us more already.”

The pier-end shack was well enough constructed from ship-scavenged wood. The sparsely furnished interior boasted two large chests, a table, and no beds.

“Our first home!” said Meleny.

“Let’s head for the Hostel” said Reynard.

[End Part the 27th]

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Woohooo!!! ITS ALIVE!!!!!

i haven't forgotten you promised a walk-through for KotB, by the way :yes:

9. Old Book

I haven't forgotten. :)

10. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

What the-?

Cool! Thank you!

Oooh, but someone's about to get hurt....

11. Jo

Jo Member

So, curiously... does this story continue on anywhere? If so, I would like to read more.

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The thread has been dead for 9 years... I'm gonna guess no.

13. Jo

Jo Member

That's too bad. I was hoping it may have carried on in a pdf somewhere. I'm always about ten years too late, it seems.

14. NulbTroll

NulbTroll Member

We know that Necromancy is generally frowned upon.....
    but this thread, which is likely to be overlooked by the Newbies such as myself to CO8, is pretty wonderful thread to read through.

15. Jo

Jo Member

I agree, it's a great thread and worth the read.

Our Host!