A way to kick out and re-invite a NPC?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by hednod, Nov 2, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. hednod

hednod Member

I have a NPC whom has been in my party for must of the entire time i've played. However, he has suddenly gun invisible on me and will not come out of it. I can see his icon, the circle around the empty space where he stands, i can even setup his spells and inventory.

But he cannot cast spells (they do not work) and he does not get ANY turns in combat.

Is there anything I can do short of going back several save games and redoing all that hard work?

2. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Not sure how to help you here... to kick someone out, you need to talk to them. If you can talk to them, you can kick them out. However, not all NPCs are available for re-hire. Raimol seemed to have disappeared on me when I gave him the boot... :)

Otherwise if you get the NPC killed you can click on an icon in the upper right of their picture (I think...) and it will toss their dead body out of your party. It's one way to just keep one NPC if you have to keep a pair or trio of them for some reason. However, when you toss their body into the cornfield and drive off, you can't find them again... they are just gone.

3. akbar

akbar Member

I also had this problem with Paida, I asked her to leave the party before I could make it back to the village and she said something to the effect that she was leaving and became invisible, the cirle was still visible when I clicked on her portrait but she wouldn't respond to anything, and you couldn't hurt her in any way, again thank goodness for saved games.

4. Jo

Jo Member

This just happened to me after receiving Tillahi's reward. Three of my NPCs went blue circle of death.

Ultimately, I went back to an earlier save, right before they went blue circle and tried to ask them to leave the party, thinking that I could re-invite them after receiving the reward in the hopes that doing so would bypass the bug. Oddly, the dialogue options to leave the party weren't there; instead, each of the three NPCs acted as if they weren't even in my party! I could invite them to join, but that was it. So, I invited them to join the party. I'm not sure if this has fixed the issue for me, but I'm hoping it gets around the blue circle of death problem.

I have no idea what causes this. Maybe it's just some random corruption from a save? The only other odd thing I've experienced is that my extraplanar chest burst, so to speak. It just left a mess of gear all over the place. Perhaps I overstuffed the thing. Not sure.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Odd, I thought we had fixed all the blue circle NPC's ages ago, and yes the extraplanar chest was probably overfilled.

6. Jo

Jo Member

Just guessing, but I think it happens when things like Charm Person or monster or any of the dominate spells are used. I don't know, of course, and I have no knowledge of how the scripting of it all works. I just notice that things tend to get touchy when I use charms or dominates.

In this case, I had Burne use charm monster on the greater temple bugbear guarding T(r)illahi and Sir Juffer. I didn't want to use it, but it was a last resort; otherwise, a tripped and bloody Spugnoir wouldn't have made it another round. Then, instead of getting rid of the bugbear, I made the mistake of carting him around for a while. He eventually turned against me while I was resting in the spiral staircase, after the charm wore off.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Do you have a savegame from before the TIllahi encounter that can reliably reproduce the issue? If so that would be very valuable in diagnosing the problem.

8. Allyx

I know exactly how it works, I discovered it and how to fix it. I had thought all the instances of this bug had been found and fixed already, I guess this one escaped.

9. Jo

Jo Member

Unfortunately, I don't. I tend to keep a tight set of four saves that I revolve through every one to three rooms; it's a habit from years ago when the game had a tendency to crash.

I'll expand my queue of saves though in case something similar happens in the future.

10. Sitra Achara

What's the cause?

11. Allyx

The script to tell the npc's to run off was also affecting npc's in the party.

12. Lum Levits

Lum Levits Member

This bug just destroyed 2 hours of play for me. Zert died, he is the only NPC I have, when I had Jaroo ress him he came back invis. Just a blue circle showing where he is, cannot target him to talk nor can I make him talk to anyone.

13. Allyx

Jaroo doesn't ressurect the dead, he reincarnates the dead instead. Did you happen to see a field mouse run off from his location when it happened?

Joking aside, If you have an old saved game you could go back to, try talking to Terjon at the Church. If the same thing happens there also it is a bug, if not it should be a quick fix swapping out the code for Reincarnation with that of Ressurection (though I beleive those spells were technically identical anyway).

14. Sitra Achara

@Allyx
    I haven't been able to reproduce the problem, but if you send the code that fixes it I'll include it in the next Temple+ update.

As always I'd appreciate savegames that reliably demonstrate the problem for indepth diagnosis, which could possibly allow the issue to be repaired at the engine level.

15. Lum Levits

Lum Levits Member

Umm....when I use the upload file button, I can only select a JPG image of the save...

Attached Files:

Our Host!