Your Chosen Ones

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by CyrusSpitama, May 31, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

The default ass-stomper group IMHO for ToEE goes like this:
    >human (LG, Pelor) who goes warrior 4, all paladin after (warrior 4 first to maximize feats)
    >half-orc (CG) who goes warrior 4, all barbarian after (will later specialize in bastard swords..)
    warriors will start with power attack and cleave obviously.
    >elf thief / ranger thief 2 first to maximize skill points, ranger 2 for either dual wield or bows-- split levels evenly.
    pure casters -- do not multi-class, every multi-class caster is inferior to a pure class.
    >human - cleric (LG) (law / good) -- this is basically a required I want to be a crafter god pick.
    >human - cleric (LG) (sun / healing) -- there are many good options for a second cleric and schools to take.
    clerics both get longspears and will pick up combat reflexes to poke runners starting at level 1.
    >elf - wizard (NG)(will carry a longbow for giggles, and to everyones amazement will sometimes hit with it, and maybe later will carry a defender longsword and pretend to be an eleven gandalf.
    That is six PCs feel free to swap one or two out for inferior NPC versions.
    Do all the fed-ex quests to get Meleny, she's the best waifu in any game ever made, at level 4 she will have 18 wisdom.
    With her buffs and nukes and crafting potential I wouldn't go anywhere without her.
    The 8th and final spot is left open to complete various quests with temporary NPCS at all times avoiding it as much as possible.

I suggested it in the Cleric Faq I wrote like 5 years ago, I doubt it is an original idea... I think though I would squeeze a druid into the mix and call it a "priest party". If you picked 4 or 5 priests (10 possibly DIFFERENT domains! wow and a druid) Although lots of combinations are possible, I think I would certainly pick up some usually overlooked choices, like magic, trickery, earth while making sure to pick up good, chaos, law for crafting and filling it in with solid picks like strength, war, and healing. Last but not least, one Sun cleric for Undead bombing.

BrotherSmythe likes this.
  2. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

Right off the bat I want to say thank you for your Cleric FAQ. It is my bible in all clerical matters (pun intended). I highly recommend reading it and using it for reference. I am not a novice but I learned a great many divine things from it.
    Adding a Druid or two to the mix is an excellent idea for a priestly party. If I did make an all Cleric party then I would compose it of priests of these Orders:
    1. Heironeous - war and law domains. Free longsword prof.
    2. Pelor - sun and strength .
    3. Obad Hai? - plant and water
    4. Fharlanghn - travel and protection
    5. Boccob - magic and trickery
    This covers the bases nicely. A martial weapon proficiency,arcane magic, teleportation,area effect bombardment and a nice spread of various spells and abilities. It might be a little too easy going so I would give them a lower point base for stats.
    Thanks again dragonalumni for your diligent work. My blessings!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. Quandari

Quandari Member

Methinks your selection might be modestly improved by exchanging Obad-Hai for Ehlonna to get Good and Plant Domains plus Longbow prof. Good for the Holy Crafting and Plant for the early game goodness of Entangle and Barkskin, the latter also being needed for Amulet of Natural Health.

4. pijani

pijani Member

What is Temple+?
    link could be great
    and sorry if the question is noob, I;ve been out of the loop for last 10 years :)

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

http://www.moddb.com/mods/temple1

Temple+ is a partial ToEE Engine rewrite, while many of the bugs Vanilla ToEE had have been fixed by Co8, Temple+ also fixes these and many more but without the added Co8's new content. Temple+ is also compatible with Co8 8.1.0 NC and adds new features like smarter AI (enemies will wake up unconscious allies for instance) and added some Prestige Classes.

6. fkirenicus

fkirenicus Member

Running a party of four. A half-elf sister (Rogue6?/Sorceress) and brother (Ranger6/Cleric), who worship Ehlonna, and a human sister (Wizardess) and brother (Fighter4?/Cleric) who worship Boccob. Works quite nice, actually, though I get my backside handed to me now and again when encountering very large groups of powerful foes... :)

7. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

In group confrontations Sound burst is your best friend(cleric lvl 2 spell):D

8. fkirenicus

fkirenicus Member

Have been an AD&D player from old, never thought much of the Sound Burst and other sonic damage spells of 3rd ed. In fact, I found them quite "silly"; to me the the whole concept of "sonic damage" sounded like an old Hawkwind song or something... :-D
    But I guess I should try them out then, thanks for the heads-up. :)

9. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

The stunning effect for a round is just as important as the damage. Another good one is Glitterdust for low-level crowd control.

Quandari likes this.
  10. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

For real entertainment, combine sound burst,glitterdust and GREASE:D

11. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Grease and entangle at level 1. Entangle is good if you have ranged weapons. Enlarge person on a melee type with combat reflexes is a nice combo. Add a reach weapon to that enlarged fighter and ....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  12. fkirenicus

fkirenicus Member

Yep, noticed that yesterday when confronting the brigands and witches in the Temple guard tower. VERY nice. :)

Our Host!