Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Wow, you guys have done a lot...maybe I was wrong about the ability to recreate bg/bg2. Have a lot of travel coming up, but in the next month or so, I will give this a go!

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yeah, the Demo release (while not perfect - it's still a rough draft of what it will eventually be) is playable and stable, but not yet 100% complete.

The fact the isometric angle of the maps is so close to ToEE's native perspective is a stroke of luck, although Sitra Achara has shown that the 3d elements can be angled to accomodate any isometric (or even top down) view.

Making this mod so far has been relatively painless, more of a process of relearning things I was experimenting with when making the first Verbobonc mod years ago that pioneering new aspects of ToEE modding.

I am pleased it has been so well recieved so far, particularly by the people at RPGcodex.net. Not that it hasn't been recieved well at Co8 too, it's just that regular Co8 posters already know the miraculous things we can do with ToEE modding, and most of those guys are just awestruck by the same stuff we've been doing for ages as if it were their first time.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You mean no auto-fail response? Does not compute. :confused:

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok I'm back Al, I have a new computer, and I got a very pleasant shock when I installed ToEE and found it works right away in Windows 10. I'm still updating etc and haven't tried WorldEd. My main problem is that my old PC died because the hard drive became unreliable, and I suspect I have lost much of my stuff, including the Kuldahar sectoring I was working on and my install of IWD. (I was backing up on what I thought was another hard drive in my PC but it turned out to be another partition of the same drive. Long story). I say 'suspect' because the HDD was not completely rooted, just so unreliable as to warrant buying a new PC, but I now have it attached as an external drive to my new PC - still unreliable but not completely lost.

Anyways, what did you want me to work on? I was thinking I can convert the dlg for the folks of Kuldahar, or I can have a crack at the Vale of Shadows main map and you can be filling it with yetis and shadows while I do Kuldahar, but I'll need a split ToEE-ready version of that map.

5. Allyx

The split map for Kuldahar is done, apart from the sectoring. That and the dialogues for folk there would be awesome.

I've taken an extended modded break since January when I posted patch 2, so you literally didn't miss anything.

I was planning to run the original IWD game side by side with the ToEE version each with 6 player parties, so I can find and fix any tiny descrepancies between them (mostly thinking about XP awards for quests) and fixing the Butcher rep, the Townsfolk dialogue has some unusual text characters (non-English letters) in it somewhere that needs fixing, and tackle the maplimits thing for the maps that we have already.

I've been a touch distracted by playing P'n'P Pathfinder with two groups - friends (as a player) and family (as the GM).

Our family game is going well, we have just about completed the first chapter of the Rise of the Runelords campaign.

I'm going to run a few sidetrek quests to explore other local ruins (from the Wayfinder fanzines #7 and #9) before starting chapter 2, and probably skipping most of the haunted house at Foxglove Manor (as my GF and her brother lost a sibling in a house fire when they were young, that part of the adventure might bring up unnecessary trauma).

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, I'll do the dialogues for the Kuldaharians. (Kuldaharoi).

7. Allyx

Ok, soI have done the first bit of modding on this project since January, adjusting the XP awards for the Easthaven quests to better reflect the XP awarded in the original IWD title.

Most of the Prologue quests awarded 1200 XP in Easthaven, Hrothgar awarded 0 XP for meeting in his house, and 2400 XP for finishing the Orc's cave.

Setting the CR for Hrothgar's house call quest at -5 removes XP awards from that quest. Setting CR 5 for the town quests awards 180 XP to each PC in a party of 6 (will probably lower it to CR 4 instead for 135 XP each). The award for finishing the Orc Cave will be at either CR 6 or CR 7 (CR 10 awarded each PC 1080 XP which is too high by far).

8. argikt

argikt Member

Hello!

I have origial version of IWD in spanish, You know if I will have any issue for languaje or something?
    Thanks

9. Allyx

Currently I only plan to convert the original IWD into English, there shouldn't be an issue using the Spanish IWD to install this mod, but the text will still be in English.

I would guess though that if someone could supply the Spanish (or other language) dialogue files for IWD, Ted or someone else could write a conversion tool to swap out the English for the Spanish text, likewise for the audio files for those with spoken dialogues.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  10. Allyx

@Shiningted @Sitra Achara Do you guys know of a way to spawn a creature "nearby"? I looked as Lareth's script for the spider spawn script, but I require a script to make a pissed off Hrothgar nearby when one of Easthaven's residents dies, not standing around while the party are halfway across the map watching townspeople die.

11. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Define "nearby". As it is you can just specify a location when spawning a creature or use the .move command to do so immediately afterwards.
    I surmise that the problem is establishing what consitutes a "nearby" location? That is indeed a bit tricky in normal ToEE if you want to do it in a general method without handpicking locations. Even Troika fudged it with the infamous "spawning monsters in walls" issue - their fix was to just spawn monsters on top of your party members...

12. Allyx

Hmm, I guess that could work too, how would I code it to target a created Hrothgar on the lead character's location?

13. Sitra Achara

Code:
    spawn_loc = game.leader.location
    hroth = game.obj_create( <PROTO>, spawn_loc )

14. Allyx

Ok, so I've been wrestling with Hrothgar (both litterally and figuratively), I managed to make the Easthaven citizens cry for help when attacked, instantly summoning Hrothgar to aid them.

At first they summoned 2 Hrothgar's for each citizen attacked (which was fun), but I managed to fix that, so now Hrothgar appears only once.

My trouble is I now can't get Hrothgar vanish from his house should he be defeated in combat. I tried setting OF_OFF when game.global.flags[20]=1 (which is set when he dies) but even setting the flag in rhe console won't make him vanish. :(

Also, Aspel's wolf quest won't complete for some bizarre reason.

15. Sitra Achara

Our Host!