What it takes to be a Co8 modder.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Thirteen, Aug 31, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

New textures for existing models can be done, models can be edited to a point, though reskinning may be both needed and problematic. I personally haven't done ant 3d model modding so far, though I may need to very soon.

2. Allyx

It could theoretically be possible to make a single weapon that could be scripted to make those alterations to size, damage dice, model, throwable etc... it wouldn't be a script that I'd want to write as it would be well beyond my abilities.

Regarding throwing the weapons, they would need new animations for being thrown. Currently I think the only throwable weapon in ToEE is a dagger, that animation might be useful as a starting point.

3. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I think maybe you could just have the four separate new weapons with their own stats then, but just treat them all as being Mind Blade as one variable, for when checking for Mind Blade matters.
    Temple+ so far seems to make scripting for the game more user friendly.

4. Allyx

You could name all the weapons 'Mind Blade', I still think the easiest way would be to create 16 versions of the weapon, the 12 throwing versions in all 4 possible sizes of each of the 3 weapon types used, and the 4 non-throwing shortsword versions for level 1 characters, as the stats of the weapons change for the size of the wielder, and ToEE allows for a total of 4 PC sizes.

This would certainly make scripting the ability easier as you would just need to check the characters size and create the size appropriate weapon rather than creating a generic weapon and scripting at least 13 specific changes to that weapon's proto...

EG: size category,
    item weight,
    weapon model,
    weapon icon,
    damage dice,
    allows throwing or not,
    magical bonus,
    the feat associated for it's use,
    additional magical abilities (upto 3 of these),
    the render scale (to change the size of the model itself)
    and anything else I've missed.

5. WinstonShnozwick

That sounds like a good idea.
    What's the best free program to use with ToEE models/animations?

6. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

The GiTP fora are mainly concerned with table top RPGs, and the entirety of the DnD rules. In such circumstances, pretty much anything that isn't a wizard, druid or cleric is a weak class, because these three can pretty much do anything they wish at high levels, including break the game entirely. The TOEE ruleset doesn't really allow such shenanigans, and the fact that you play a party who cooperate rather than individuals who get impatient with each other also helps. In TOEE one can run Monks who function perfectly effectively alongside Wizards, while in a tabletop game the Wizard's ability to do anything better than the Monk kind of makes it redundant. In TOEE flavour counts for far more, and Soulknife is probably a perfectly functional class to play l, especially in a party.

WinstonShnozwick likes this.
  7. Allyx

Anim8or is a free package, there are conversion tools for ToEE's .skm files to turn them into files Anim8or can read here on our forum.

3ds Max is hideously expensive if you were to buy it, they do allow students to download the package for free however... And don't seem to check with the college that you're actually enrolled there... ;) Conversion tools for ToEE's files are also available on our forum.

8. WinstonShnozwick

Which one is easier to use?

9. Allyx

I wouldn't know, I haven't actually tried either yet.

10. WinstonShnozwick

11. Allyx

download ToEEExtract from the tools section and place it in it's own folder, then copy ToEE.dat from the modules folder (for maps)
    ToEE1 (for 3d models and artwork)
    ToEE2, 3 & 4 (for other game files)
    then drag and drop each in turn onto the ToEEExtract.exe this will decompress the files. Bare in mind that these are the Vanilla files for ToEE. Any newer files from Co8 patches will override the .dat versions, so any changes you make will need to be made using the upto date version instead of the .dat version.

Any files not in the Co8 patch haven't changed since vanilla, so aren't included.

3d models are in the art/meshes folder.

12. WinstonShnozwick

I doubt I'll ever use maps, I'm just after models and textures. Do those models have animations with them? I assume I need animations for a weapon too.

13. Allyx

AFAIK, weapons don't need animations since it's. The creature that's moving, as long as the weapon has no moving parts, you're golden.

If you are after a blue glowing effect perhaps exploring the particle system would be a useful option?

14. WinstonShnozwick

Wow, that makes my job even easier then! All I'm after is taking shortsword, longsword, and bastardsword and slightly changing their shape and getting a new texture.
    I might want a green effect on them since they are psionic creations of the mind.

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ha, I wish I could get a job as a night-time shelf stacker. I keep applying for those jobs and they don't even answer me.

Re the OP, also no programming training here, and only experience in BASIC and some assembly language from many years back. Have since gotten into other OOP languages like C++ (and learned what OOP is). Python (the language for ToEE) is easy to use - so easy they joke about it in XKCD.

I'm doing a Soulknife for KotB atm, let us know how you go Winston and we can compare notes at some point. Re effects on your sword, check what Cujo and HalfKnight had to say, both of them achieved it (HalfKnight posted screenshots of his characters with light sabres he made just for giggles).

Our Host!