Swapping feats?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by SwingBlade, Aug 25, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

Hey folks!

I'm pretty sure you can't, based on what I had read before, but not sure if there'd been progress. I gave my sorcerer Quicken Spell because I didn't know that doesn't work in 3.5 (I didn't start tinkering with metamagic until Pathfinder). Is there any way I can replace this feat with something functional, or am I stuck with this lesson?

2. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I'm no expert on modding, but the 'So, Temple plus exists' thread appears to have console commands on page 13 that enable you to add feats to a character (though the advice is generally to avoid playing round with the console as it tends to make the game break down later on). In what way doesn't QS work for sorcerers? I tend to use Wizards, and it works fine for them.

3. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

Caveat of QS in 3.5:

This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

I can take it as as sorcerer in ToEE, and apply it to spells, but it is basically just a way to let me cast spells at +4 spell level. Just in case I need a few more magic missiles.

Pathfinder adjusted the feet so that sorcerers could benefit from it, much to the future joy of my white necromancer.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Generally possible only in Temple+, though you can manually apply the effect of some feats in some cases.

5. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

I would not be upset if a way was devised to make QS work in ToEE, but having looked over the rules it's pretty straight-forward they hated sorcerers. :D Glad Pathfinder 'fixed' that at least.

6. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

Semi-related, can class levels be changed/replaced?

7. Sitra Achara

It's more or less possible using Temple+.
    Check out the new python commands here (item #9):
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/temple-changelog.99319/

You'll need to use obj_set_idx_int and manipulate the obj_f_critter_level_idx field. This field contains an array of all the character levels you've taken in the sequence they were taken, so you can use that command to replace existing ones or add new ones.
    For example:
    Code:
    game.party[0].obj_set_idx_int(obj_f_critter_level_idx, 0, stat_level_fighter)
    Will convert your first character level to a fighter level.

You can then use the .feat_add(X) to add feats.

I'd be careful about completely removing existing classes though, haven't tested what happens in those cases (e.g. if you change your Cleric to Fighter and then use Turn Undead).

8. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

By the way, Sitra, I haven't said it yet but thank you very much. Both for the point help you've been providing me, and for the effort you've put into this old game. Aside from being fun, it has a lot of personal significance; my grandpa bought me my original copy, the same Christmas I bought it for him. He's starting to forget that happened.

Sitra Achara likes this.
  9. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

Is there a way to disable the hook (?) that makes spontaneous metamagic a full-round action? Also, is there a place I can look to try to figure more of this out myself?

10. Sitra Achara

It's possible to hook the ActionCost callback for spellcasting and change that, perhaps as a House Rules option, but it somehow seems too "specific" for an optional Temple+ feature. (hooking refers to replacing pre-existing code, that's what Temple+ does with ToEE).
    OTOH I've seen another request for relaxing the item creation rules, so maybe I'll add a "Lax Spell Rules" option that includes both requests. It could also be used as part of Difficulty Settings configs/presets.

Your second question is a bit general ;) The code repository for Temple+ is here. Do you have any programming background, or at least the will to learn?

Our Host!