Purple Smoke won't go away.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by xraygord, Jan 13, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I have had it happen to me also (7.4.1)

Luckily I saved my game right before the battle (as I always do) and I could not get rid of it.
    Reloaded the save right before the battle and it did not happen the 2nd time.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I was thinking the same thing, she summoned 3 Vrocks on me (the nasty little things).

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

4. YGH

YGH Member

Hi, I'm still having this problem in the latest version, Vrock seems to be cause. I tried Jaroo/Heal/rest/etc. He kills and reincarnates just fine, but the purple smoke is still there. Am I missing anything?

5. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I have a small script I run that removes any "stray" particles effects on my characters. It's a brute force method of looping thru all the recent particles in effect and ending them. I've been using it for a long time, and it's never caused any problems with my saves or game play at all, but I still suggest you save just in case.

Here's the python code, and I'll attach the file below.

Code:
    from __main__ import game

def partend():
       p = game.particles('sp-Death Ward', game.leader)
       for x in range (1, p+1):
         game.particles_end(x)
         print 'ending particle', x

Just copy the file into /data/scr and then from the console type:

> from partend import *
    > partend()​

The one that always gets me is when I accidentally cast the same Resist Energy twice on the same guy, the particle never goes away. That purple Vrock smoke too.

Attached Files:

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

IIRC the problem with the vrock spores is that the spell was unterminated. This causes the Spell Map Transfer system to respawn the particle system on map transfer or save/load.
    You might be able to solve it by force-ending the spell in the OnBeginRound function.
    (For Temple+ I ended the spell if the caster handle (Vrock in this case) isn't valid anymore)

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

To use your fix marc does the afflicted character need to be in the 0 slot?

8. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

No, since it will wipe out most particles in the area, including sometimes knocking out torch and fireplace particles in the room. But those will come back just fine after you leave the room and come back. It's a very simple brute force method as I said, but it gets the job done for now.

9. Tycho

Tycho Member

I've had the problem that two characters always have the sparkles from "Calm Emotions" around them. I've tried Jaroo but no luck. I tried the particle end function but it only stops the particles from appearing in that area. When I move to a different area, they return. I finally managed to remove them by killing one of the affected characters, removing her from the party, exiting the area, and then returning. When I moved the party to the other area, the effect was still on the remaining character. When the party returned to the previous area with the body, the effect was removed from both the body and the other character. I just had to "clone" the character that I killed and use the console to restore her experience and set her hit points correctly.

After some experimenting, it seems that if I cast spells that require concentration multiple times in a row, something breaks and the caster will not have the option to dismiss or stop concentrating and the spell (or, in my case, the particle effects) will be permanent.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  10. Tycho

Tycho Member

I manage to remove the stuck particle effect from my characters without having to resort to killing and disbanding one of the affected. The method isn't for the inexperienced: First I backed up the file I was going to edit and then I opened the file partsys1.tab with a hex editor and removed the reference to the particle effect (found in the spell file: i used 09 to replace each character of the spell name). I saved and restarted the game. I noted that the initial flare effect occurred but not the permanent one. I saved the game (under a new name) and restored the original partsys1.tab file. After reloading the game, the particle effect has not returned.

If I reload the saved game prior to my "fix" the issue still occurs but not with the new post-fix save.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  11. Tycho

Tycho Member

If you are using Temple Plus version 1.0.13 or later, you have the option to leave a PC behind at the inn in Hommlett. Separating the two affected characters in this way, fixed my issues.

Our Host!